Friday, November 27, 2009

Thanksgiving, OVCX #14 (win #2!)

For Thanksgiving Lindsay and I trekked up to my parents for the feast. My brother and his wife (Lisa) were there, so it was a good time to hang w/ everyone that I don't see all the time. It should go w/out saying that I ate a ton, which was awesome. It was a pretty uneventful day, but that's a good thing.
One event worth mention, however, is that my Brother, Dad and I went to the Frankfort Rural King after the T-giving meal. I thought it was pretty awesome that they have 200lb tubs of protein for only $40. But since it's only 24%, I'd probably have to get 4 of them. This may be a great way to bulk up though, lifting and consuming 200lb tubs of protein. I did score some knee-high rubber boots and PVC dipped work gloves for cold weather bike cleaning though. Pretty sweet find.
Morning of T-giving I got up early and went to the BBC Turkey Trot 5k. It was a cold morning, but I pulled up was locking my bike to a post when the dude shouted "1minute till start." Perfect timing, as I didn't want to stand around in the cold waiting. I quickly found my way around all of the back-of-the-packers and up to my friend Sarah Sanderhan and Buzz, their 3 legged dog. I ran w/ them for most of the run, but decided to light it up in the last 1/2mile or so (okay, I just wanted to beat the 3 legged dog). I ran a 24min flat. Not my best time in a 5k, but acceptable for a cyclist.

This weekend was stop #14 in the OVCX series in Yellow Springs, OH (yes, where Dave Chapelle lives). It's a long drive (3hrs on the dot), but once I got there I liked the course and was glad I made the trip. It was a super flat course w/ some single track, a double sandpit, and tons of really good turns.
This race was a dual series race (OVCX and Ohio Cap City series), so the call ups were not in the normal order. Several Cap city riders were called first, and I got the last spot on the front row. It was a long uphill road start, so I wasn't to worried, but when my name wasn't called for start after 6 or so guys, I got worried, but all turned out well. I went into the grass 4th wheel, immediately moved into 3rd, then a few turns later moved into 1st and never looked back. I gapped the field and rode it all the way from gun (whistle) to tape (line). While I'm not one to place a bunch of meaning into a win, it was extra cool to win today because two very good friends of mine were in town for Thanksgiving (their Mom lives near the venue in OH) and were their to watch.
They took a bunch of pics, including the podium shot I had Dan take on my phone. I'll have a bunch more after Luther gets them uploaded and sent to me.
It was a great day of racing and hanging out w/ friends. Great weather.
The drive home turned worse though. It rained most of the way and heavily at times. I had to get gas and was hungry for hot food, but there was no restaurant at the exit other than sit down places, so I got a hot dog from the gas station. It was soooooooo nasty; real bad idea. Then, I got caught up in two full blown traffic jams on 37 coming back to B-town. It took 4 hrs to get home.

Next weekend (12/6) is the OVCX finale in Louisville. I haven't raced this course yet this year, so I'm looking forward to it. This season has been long indeed, but I have been having a great year and tons of fun!

2 comments:

Gina said...

Great work! Glad you enjoyed the race and your friends.

CONGRATULATIONS!

Geraint Parry said...

From what I understand kicking ass and taking names makes racing more fun! Nice work!