Monday, May 14, 2012

Solid

I had a very solid week of training this week. With no racing to be done this weekend, I could really focus on the training without thinking in the back of my mind "am I going to drain myself for this weekend?" Weeks like these make for good quality training and are very beneficial. I felt like I was struggling on the short intervals I did Thursday, but my numbers were good and I got them done. And Sunday a few of us did a good hard 3hrs and I felt really good. So that's good!
I mentioned a few posts ago that I had been to 2 different Dr.s in one week and said I would expand on that. Here's the deal: I had a "bump" on my left ear for a long time. Like months, maybe a year. I noticed it whenever I looked in a mirror, but it gave me no problems, so I didn't really worry much about it. But a couple weeks ago I was drying my hair after showering and I guess I rubbed it hard because it started bleeding. A lot. This worried me a bit. I decided I should get it checked out. I went to a normal Dr first and she was throwing around words like "malignant," "benign," "aggressive," "pathology..." Hearing these words scared me. She didn't know what it was but said she was surprised I had waited so long to get it checked out. She sent me to a dermatologist. Before getting in to see the dermo, I basically didn't know what was going on. This was the closest I've come to a "cancer scare." And I didn't particularly like it.
So I went to the dermo and she wasn't worried about it at all. She said it just looked like cysts. She numbed my ear, dug it out and told me to come back in two weeks so she could check on it. Two weeks was this passed Friday and the dermo said it looks fine, but if it's not 100% normal in 1month to call. I usually heal pretty fast and it's still kind of scabbed over and a little red. But I get the feeling she dug pretty deep/hard at it, so that may be normal. She gave me a topical steroid to put on it, so I'm totally on 'riods right now.
Anywho, it seems to be getting better and it doesn't seem to be a problem. And I am fully aware that this story is probably lame to read, but it had me kind of freaked for a day or two; I don't like having a Dr. dropping cancer terms on me and being left not knowing. But it's all good now.
I plan to race road bikes this coming weekend. It's an Ohio race that ~shouldn't~ suit me particularly well, but that I've done well at in the past. I've almost won it a couple of times. It's not very hilly, but is probably one of the more technical road races that I've done. And it does have a couple hills, just nothing major. Maybe it'll finally be my year to actually win!!?!! 
In the mean time I'm getting sucked into watching TV all week by the Tour of California. It's two hour nightly coverage but I'm at work for the first hour, so luckily my TV time will be chopped quite a bit. Good deal.  
        

1 comment:

Sherri said...

as much as we are in the sun riding bikes year 'round we need to be extra vigilant with bumps and things. Skin cancer is real and scary. Glad to read it's nothing this time.