Sunday, June 13, 2010

40k (got my shirt)

I have a small collection of these beauties now. Which is AWESOME!!!!!
Today I made my first attempt of the year at the IRS Monrovia 40k Time Trial.
I had a good race, but kind of expected a bad one; I had a few things go wrong early on and was fearful that it would be a sign of things to come.
These TT's start early, first rider off at 7:30, so to get there, get warmed up, etc. you have to get up early. When I got there and got signed in I went to mix my EFS drink mix into my bottle, but I accidentally mixed my Ultragen recovery mix into the bottle. A mistake I've never made before, but no big deal. Next I went to put my bike in the trainer to warm up, and my tire was flat on my trainer wheel (not my race wheel). I had to fix the flat just to get my bike on trainer to warm up; lame. These two occurrences left me a little worried that something was going to go wrong.
But all went well.
The winds were less favorable going out, but made for a slight negative split (the best way to have to race w/ a wind [head out/tail back]). The humidity we're experiencing made it all kinds of muggy, even at ~8am, but I bested my previous time by 9seconds for a new best of 54min39sec. That's 27.2mph for those who care. Once I hit the rhythm I felt really good.
I got home and got quite a few chores done, then watched bike racing on TV. It's amazing to me the effects of a hard 40k race. It usually basically lays me out for the rest of the day. It's weird because it's less than an hour of riding, but it's so hard.
Anywho, I plan to race MTB this weekend at French Lick. Hopefully it stays dry. Though I find myself caring about MTB racing a little less every year, so if the rains continue, I could see myself just skipping it in favour of a long road ride. We'll see...

No comments: