Friday, June 18, 2010

Weekend stuffs

I happened across this photo of (one of the) Olsen twins and thought only 1 thing when I saw it:

Maybe they're triplets and Sam Kinison was separated from them at birth!?!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This weekend was the DINO MTB race at the French Lick Resort trail down south. I rode the trails here a few weeks ago, so I had some rough idea of what to expect, however monsoon rain.storms the night before had me (and everyone) worried about ultra-nasty muddy conditions. It was muddy in places, but overall I would rate the trail condition as not too bad to perfect. The shift in conditions form wet starting to bone dry after a couple of hours was wreaking havoc on drive trains and a lot of people (myself included) were having shifting/chain suck/general chain issues (being wet in the beginning, your chain would loose lubrication, then becoming dry dust and crap would get kicked up into your [now non-lubricated] chain making it cease operation.)
The race started in a cyclocross fashion, w/ a taped off, dead flat drag on a field (actually it was a golf driving range). I thought a few thing about this: 1)Sweet! A CX start, I'm good at that. 2) I AM good at CX starts, but I don't know if I'm in "CX shape" right now and 3) who cares? JFR.
I got a good start and entered the trail 4th. I sat 4th for most of the 1st lap, but capitalized on a bobble made by 3rd and moved into his spot. The guy in 1st was out of sight and once we hit the climbs, I moved into 2nd and tried to pursue 1st; he was long gone though. I traded off 2nd and 3rd another time or two due to chain problems of my own, but was able to lay it down on the climbs and finish a strong 2nd.
It was a good hard race.
Today (Sunday) Lindsay and I went up to my parent's for a Family Reunion of my Mother's side. Plus it was Father's day and good excuse to hang w/ my old man. I got up early and busted out a quick EZ hour spin to get the kinks out from yesterday, then we headed north. It was nice to see everyone, but especially my dad, my mom my brother and his wife (who is7months pregnant).
Good times.
This weekend if the Morgan Monroe Forest road race. I've been looking forward to this for awhile now. I'm pretty well prepared and I'm going pretty good right now in general. We'll see how it shakes out.

No comments: