Tuesday, June 08, 2010

DINO BCSP MTB RR

Brown County State Park Mountain Bike Race Report (and other stuffs):

This past Sunday was the DINO MTB race at BCSP. This marked the first time I've toe'd a dirt line (w/ 26" wheels) in ~10months and the third time I've ridden my MTb at all this year. Needless to say, while my fitness is very good, my MTB skillz are not-so-much.
The good part is that the BCSP MTB course start on ~1mile BRUTAL road climb; perfect. I got into the front group on the paved start and we quickly whittled the field to 4 riders and had a significant gap by the time we hit the dirt. I rolled onto the trail in third and held that position for the whole first lap. Some exchanges were made in front of me, and one guy took off of the front and I was unable to respond because I was behind someone. I eventually moved to second on the second lap, but the first placed rider had checked out. During the third lap I was re-overtaken for second and moved into third; still pretty good, but forth was breathing down my neck. I drop him on climbs and gap him on pedaling sections, but on descents he was catching me w/ ease. On the final climb I went berserker to gap him, which I did, but turning onto the finishing trail, I ran into traffic and crashed while trying to pass. During my remount I was passed and moved into 4th, which is where I finished. It was a good day and a good race. I rode hard and finished (pretty) well. (I don' have a pic from the race, but I did snap this pic of a fat B-town cop on a segway)

This weekend I'm racing against the clock for 40k in Monrovia. I'm hopeful I can best my PR from last year. The 40k is a tricky effort though: it's easy to go too hard, and it's easy to not go hard enough. It's all about the sweet spot; "not blowing but still going" (I just made that up BTW). Anywho, I'm looking forward to it.
Training is going very good in general. I need a day on the TT bike leading into this weekend because I've not been on it in a couple of weeks. I plan to bust out some intervals on the TT, and hopefully be ready to suffer like the proverbial dog. Should be fun!

No comments: