Sunday, August 08, 2010

few days off...so fresh and so clean

This week was dedicated to working on my bikes mostly. I took most of the week off, rode today and felt very refreshed; so fresh, so clean.
I took off four days and overhauled my "winter" bike so when the weather turns poor in a few months it ready to go w/ no surprises. Needless to say, it's so fresh, so clean. I also got my cyclocross tires glued, mounted and sealed. They're now RTR.
Prior to taking a few days off, I went out and did a 20min power test. My last test was in April, so it's been awhile. Heading out to my test course I had a slight headwind, which meant that when I turned around to start my test, I would have a slight tailwind. You do not want a tailwind when trying to lay down big power. Not only did it make it more difficult to produce power, but my speed was just enough higher than usual that I ran out of road w/ 5sec to go (meaning I got ~1/3mile further than previously). My power was 4watts lower, but considering losing 5sec and having a little push, I'm happy w/ that (my power was 4w lower, but my speed was 1mph faster).
I planned to take an entire week off, but it is just too nice so I decided to ride today for ~2hrs, but at a "conversational" pace (a pace that allows you to maintain a conversation w/ your buddy, assuming you can convince him to ride that slow w/ you). I felt really good and had a great ride. I took my power tap wheel off and plan to keep it off for the rest of the month. I'm going to "just ride" for August. Not that I don't enjoy riding w/ power, but sometimes doing workouts all the time gets monotonous and I am going to just ride and enjoy riding for the month. Back to basics.
I don't like the new Eddy Merckx bikes advertisement.

First, I'm not a cannibal. And second, it's kind of gross. Sure it's gross looking, but if you think about its implication, it even grosser (implicating that is HUMAN blood and flesh chunks on Boonen's face). Oh well, I would still totally ride one of the bikes its hawking.
Which reminds me, I built a new road bike. Giant TCR Advanced SL w/ my Chorus 11speed group on it. But I need to sell my old one which now has brand new Ultegra on it. Shout at me if you are interested or pass it along.

No comments: