Friday, September 10, 2010

Barrier hoppin' etc.

(photo from pezcyclingnews.com)
You have Cavnedish (left in pic, in green, levitating) hopping over finish lines in Spain, and here in the IN/OH/KY area we're hopping cyclocross barriers. This pas weekend was the season opener (for most) of the 2010 cross season.
About 1.5hrs south of B-town in Nowhere, IN (Starlight, IN actually) we raced at an apple orchard called Huber Farms. It was a pretty cool venue because there were tons of people there, but most of them were there for the orchard activities (picking pumpkins, touring the land, etc). It gave it a cool feel because all these people were just there and kind of got sucked into race spectating.
The course was cool too, weaving through rows of apple trees, but it's been so dry that it had some very rough sections; the type of stuff that makes you ~hope~ you don't break your fork or something going through it fast.
This was my first race as a Cat 2 and I have 2 main goals for the year and so far I'm 2/2. 1 is to not be lapped by (Ryan Knapp) the leader and 2 is to get top 10's as much as possible. I wasn't lapped, not even close, and since only 10 started, I was guaranteed a top 10 if I finished. I got 5th. Not bad. I was definitely a little "race rusty" but I felt like I rode pretty well and was overall pleased w/ my first fore' in "the main event."
Afterwords we decided to check out the restaurant on the grounds of the farm. It seemed like a cool concept, eating food from the farm on the farm, but the place was basically an MCL Cafeteria and everything was just trucked in; it was a total gimmick (and overpriced). Plus I was suffering from "effort sickness," which I so often do after CX races, and couldn't really eat anyway. Oh well, it was a pretty fun day anyway.
So with this past weekend being the season opener, this coming weekend is the series opener for the Ohio Valley Cross Series...here we go!

1 comment:

ybbond said...

Fried Chicken was first rate---- as was the pan fried sirloin.... but yes- you had to like 'country' fare.