Sunday, May 22, 2011

TT bike seems to be working

I rode two TT's this week. And finally busted out the aero lid for the year. Tuesday was our local Tuesday night training TT at Morgan Monroe State Forest. The weather was less than ideal and I was totally on the fence to even go. It was cool and wet; kind of a misty rain (that'd make a sweet stripper name, "Misty Rain"). But I had an offer for a car ride home afterwards, so I decided to make it less of an exercise of bike riding and more an exercise in making myself do something I didn't really want to do which is important in endurance sport. So I went out, sis it and posted a pretty good time. 50sec off my best, but in the conditions that were present, I feel pretty good about that and think I can PR this year.Plus I got a ride home (in a car) which was awesome because it was cool an wet, you know 'Misty Rain.'
Today (Sunday) I went over to Seymour for a TT in their local series put on by the bike shop there. There are two courses off the same start line, one flat and one w/ a climb. Today was the climb course. I try to do a few of these every year. They have a god course and it's something different. I was off my course PR, but felt really good. There was stiff headwind out and a headwind on the climb, but then a big push from the tailwind on the return. I set the fastest time here today by about 6minutes over 2nd. Good hard workout. I'll take it.
The forecast for here this week looks like it cold be a total shit fest. If not I plan to ride the MTB Wednesday. I'm going to do some MTB races coming up here and i would like to have put at least some time in on the dirt. I have good fitness, but I need to ride the bike too.
On a side note, I decided I'm going to swim some this summer. I'm not 100% sure when I'm going to start, but I'm thinking July sometime. My plan is to swim 2-3days/week for a few months to help strengthen my back/neck/shoulders before I start cyclcross this year. I was a competitive swimmer for ~10 years, but that was over 10year ago now. Point is I have technique, just no swim fitness. So I don't have to learn anything, just suffer through the first few sessions. I have enough friends who swim that I should be able to find people to go with and maybe it will even be fun/refreshing. Only for supplemental cross training though. Don't look for me in the triathlon circuit.




No comments: