Monday, March 19, 2012

Rode some dirt (caught me ridin dirty)

Another unbelievable week of weather has passed. The word "unbelievable" gets thrown around a lot, but the weather here/now truly fits.
And as such I had a pretty solid week. I have pretty much been building to last week. That marked my 8th week straight. I put in 2 hard workouts and one good solid "endurance" ride. I went out Tuesday for some Vo2 ints and when I got to the Monroe Causeway (where I always do these) it was so foggy I could barely see at all. Which means cars couldn't see me at all. I considered turning in, but I really wanted to get these in. I was very cautious, and got the workout done. It's that much harder when you can't focus fully on the effort and have to be looking behind you every few seconds to see if a car is coming and if one is coming having to make sure you're out of its way, but it was a success nonetheless.
Then Thursday was what I'd been building towards: 2x20 threshold. The equalizer. I wasn't sure how these were going to go because I rode a steady couple hours Wed and felt weak. But the worst that would happen was I would struggle and not hit the numbers: not exactly the end of days or anything. Well it turns out I felt great and posted solid numbers with what felt like minimal effort. It's weird how the body works.
I decided that Sunday I wanted to go ride the MTB. The plan was to go to BCSP, but I assumed it would be packed end-to-end since the weather is so off-the-chain. But it wasn't. Lindsay and I seemed to have to place to ourselves. I saw 6-9 other people the entire 2.5hrs I rode.
We started off together for about 20min making it probably the longest "couples ride" we've ever had. By the time we started the climbing she felt she was holding me up too much and pulled over to unleash the beast (yes, I had drunk a Monster on the drive over). I was having a nice time just rolling behind her, but was probably riding easier than I "should have been." So once I went out on my own I rode fairly hard and felt pretty good. I had to pull the effort back a bit on the Walnut trail because it was fairly wet and I didn't want to crash in a muddy corner and end up hurt. But I put in a solid 2hr20min ride and felt good. Also of note is I rode the new (well, it's not new anymore, but I hadn't ridden it yet) Green Valley trail and it is dope. It has flow like Jay-Z. Great trail.
And that brings us to this week.
I'm going to take a couple extra days off and try absorb some this fitness. I think I'm going to race this weekend. Road in Ohio. Then at the end of next week it's to TN for some time in the mountains.

2 comments:

Gina said...

I am impressed that you keep this journal up. Way to go. Your endurance and passion for cycling is inspiring!

So tell me about these "mountains" in Tennesee. I don't think I follow.

adamrodkey said...

The Smoky Mountains!