Sunday, April 06, 2008

That's how we do it...

Errr, sometimes. And not at my discretion. JP and I decided to go race in Ohio again this weekend. After getting sick of arguing over how long it will take to get there, I conceded to JP and said "fine, it’s only takes 2 hours." So I told him we need to leave here NO LATER than 9am to make it comfortably to a noon start. Sure, he’s coming down from Indy, no prob. He gets here @ 9:15, and (as I said) it takes a hair over 2.5 hours to get there. Long story longer, we roll in w/ 10 minutes to park, register, unload bikes, change, pee, get everything ready, etc… We made it, but barely. We rolled to the start line w/ about 1 minute to spare. No warm up. no nothing. Whatever, we made it.
The course was flat and wind swept, not an Adam course. I hung though and finished w/ the field. Hard day, fast race.
I had a low volume week to get over my cold, which seems 99% gone. Still have some runny nose issues, but otherwise I‘m good.
I intend on ramping my volume back up this week and keeping it there for the coming weeks.
I don’t think I’m racing next weekend, but am the following one. That’s the immediate schedule.

2 comments:

Randy Lewandowski said...

Adam and JP - Rookie mistake. I've been there too many times. My new standard: arrive 2 hours prior for a short race and 90 minutes for a road race. The extra time is worth it for all of the things you thought of plus unexpected like long reg. lines, getting lost, last minute adjustment to your equipment, riding part or all of the course and stretching.
How many races total do you do in one year? It's worth the time to get there early and stress free.

Jumpy

adamrodkey said...

Jumps-
I ALWAYS arrive early, but when you're rolling w/ a Prater, you better have on good pants; because you're going to be flying by the seat of them!