Sunday, April 27, 2008

A TT, a RR and some disappointment

I went out to a local club 10mile TT Tuesday evening. I posted a fair time (23:40) for the rolling course. This is on par w/ my times from last year, so while I’d like to have improved, I can’t complain much. I had to mow the lawn Tuesday morning since I was riding that evening. I shifted the rest of my training week around to accommodate a Saturday road race.
The race went okay, but not as good as I had hoped/expected. This was the Brown County park RR. The one with the nastiest climb around here (in the state, really). It’s basically, form beginning to end, ~4 miles and gains a little over 400’. And mind you, this is on a 5mile loop. So you’re basically climbing, then descending, repeat (6 laps). We started off fast and I had a teammate willing to set tempo in the group if I could get up the road. A break formed in front of us and he rode the front of the group while I attempted to bridge to the break. I couldn’t make the break after chasing for about a full lap, so I sat up to let the main group catch me. I was spent from chasing alone, and fell off the group on the descent and other than picking off some stragglers, finished there. I was 13th, which was in the money (49 starters), but not as good as I had hoped to do. Whatever, as the song goes "you can’t always get what you want."
I did a little under 2hrs today tempo to spin out the legs.
I’m not racing again for a couple weeks, other than a TT or two (a 40k in a week or two).
I’m planning on doing the inaugural Lafayette Stage Race (http://www.bengasports.com/docs/2008-stage-race-project2.doc).
I worked today to "make up" for missing yesterday. Working on Sunday totally blows. Bike shops should not be opened on Sundays. Sunday is ride day, not work day.
I gotta get faster>>>
I'm working on a racing mantra: WWJD? (What Would Jan (Ullirch) Do?)

No comments: