Monday, August 24, 2009

R&R

I am taking this week (mostly) off the bike rest/recovery. I plan on riding cyclocross wed eve, not riding the rest of the week, though I may ride nice-n-easy Friday.
This will transition me into cyclocross season. There's one MTB race left Sept 5, but I don't really train for MTB racing anyway, so that'll be a formality. And if it rains, I don't think I'll go. I've raced that course (Town Run Park in Indy) in the rain way too many times and it is no fun at all.
Yesterday (Sunday) Ryan S. and I went down to Seymour for a small local time trial. It was 12miles (just under 20k), out and back on a perfectly straight country road. This series has 2 TT courses they use, a "hilly" and a "flat." this one was the "flat course." It was, for all practical purposes, dead flat. However, the way out seems to go very, very subtly uphill. There was a strong tail wind out, and a nasty headwind in. I guess it's a little known series, so Ryan and I were "the big dogs." As it turned out it was a good course, though the road was kind of narrow and I carried too much speed into the turn-around and locked up my rear wheel, which started to slide out. Due to the feeling of sliding out, I unclipped my inside (left) foot for counter balance. All this cost me a few seconds for sure, but now I know that the narrow road requires less speed to get turned around. Anywho, the order in which the promoter figured the time, he announced me as having broken the course record, which I did. But knowing Ryan bested me by over a minute, my glory was short lived. Ryan to 1st, and I took 2nd. This TT pays 3 deep, which is cool. It's $10 to enter, 1st gets $15, second gets $10 and third gets $5. Pretty cool.
So this week will be something of a chiller, then I'm going to start running next week and resume riding. I'll probably do 3-4 ~20min runs. Then the following week I plan to get into the Paynetown trail runs we were doing last fall.
I also am planning on going to Ironman Louisville this Sunday to hang out w/ some people and watch some friends race. Lindsay is doing a women only road race in LV, so I may tag along and go to the IM course.
Good times.
Summer's over (or so 'they' say).

1 comment:

Gray Skinner said...

Dude awesome post, what happened to the dope post??? did you get some heat for it?