Monday, February 01, 2010

January--done.

These pics are form the DINO 24hr race circa 2006. I did it as a 4-man team and we won. But it was 100% the most miserable conditions I have ever ridden in. We started at noon on Saturday and the day was fine, but ~11pm it started storming fierce and it stormed hard pretty much all night.

The below pic is of my drivetrain after my 2 night laps. It was so caked w/ mud an crap that the force required to simply pedal broke off my derailer hanger. I should have had to do 1more lap in the a.m., but w/ a broken bike someone else had to take my lap.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last week was a lot of inside riding. I got in some good workouts, but was hoping for a good outside ride on the weekend which came Sunday. Temps were low (~30), but the sun was out and 30 w/ sun is just fine if you ride hard enough. We had a good ~3hr ride w/ a good group of guys. I was "supposed" to ride 4hrs, but I rode too hard in the 3 it took to do the ride we did to even think about riding another hour. 3hrs put me back into town, and do another hour I would have had to head back out of town, and I just wasn't feeling it. So I was a little short on my weekly total. Whatever. I mean, as for 4+hr rides, I rarely race over 2.5hrs anyway, so 4+hr rides are really just for fun anyway, no real training value. Don't get me wrong, I like putting in looong miles, but I really only do 4+hr rides 3-5 times per year. So I don't feel to bad for not having it to gas out a 4hr smash fest in January.
Which bring me to this week, and February. I'm on a recovery week this week, so no threshold rides and fewer overall hours. But I am scheduled to "test" Friday. My last power test was done inside a few weeks ago. I think I should be able to get out for it this week, but we'll see how the cold effects it all.
Wow, January's over, February's here; we'll be racing again soon!

1 comment:

Gina said...

What a mess! But it looks like you had a blast! Congrats on the win.