Monday, August 29, 2011

Locals Only

This weekend was the final DINO MTB race of the season at Town Run Park in Indianapolis. I don't like to make excuses, but pretty much everyone will agree that this is a course typically dominated by local Indy riders. The course has very little elevation change (meaning it's FLAT), and it's basically made up of turn after turn after turn...so the locals who ride there several days/week know the course so well that they have a huge advantage. It's always been that way. This year was no different. I was riding pretty well and inside of 1hour I had Cat II men passing me. Knowing that course will make you much faster at that course. (period)
Whatever though; I went in w/ no real expectation anyway and came out next to last. Our field was much smaller than normal (10 riders), but next to last isn't a result to write abut which makes me wonder why I'm writing about it...
My brother, his wife and their daughter were at my brother's in-law's house for the weekend which is on a lake west of Indy, so Lindsay and I went to visit w/ them after the race. I brought my swim trunks not really knowing what we'd get into...good thing. We were going to go for a boat ride around the lake and when Lindsay sat down in the boat her sunglasses fell off of her head and into the water. We tried to fetch them w/ a butterfly net but to no avail. Looks like I was going swimming whether I wanted to or not.
So after the glasses search (I totally found them) Ramona decided to go for a swim w/ me. As it turns out the mixture of me (a for-the-most-part stranger) and the somewhat cold lake water didn't equate to baby fun. This picture was taken during the ~5seconds that she wasn't screaming/crying. Whatever though, it was super fun time. I did however drink 3 sodas which is about 1/4 of my typical annual consumption. Weird, but damn, Coke is just good.
So assuming I don't get an onset of diabetes, cyclocross season is here. Races start in 2weeks. I've been training hard; you know eating salads and stuff. So I should be good to go. I shouldn't joke around too much, there's some serious competition out there. Will I be ready? I don't know...pass me the ranch dressing.

No comments: