Sunday, January 29, 2012

Getting back to it

This week was about getting things moving again. I'm not really operating on any schedule right now, which never lasts too long for me; I'm just too routine oriented. But I usually try to make it a few weeks of "winging it" and doing whatever whenever.
The weather is helping right now. I got out 4 days this week. Plus I did some core/strength work as well. My low back/hips (left hip esp) gave me real problems throughout the CX season, but things feel better already after taking a week off and starting up some core exercises. Things aren't 100% in that region, but they're much better.
Today (Sunday) was the elite CX World Championships in Koksijde, Belgium. The races were shown live via the internet with the women's race airing at 5am our time and the men's at 9am. Getting up at 5am to watch sports seems crazy to me on pretty much every level, but I did it anyway. I really thought Katie Compton could win worlds this year. She didn't I went back to bed, but made sure my alarm was set to get me back for the men. In both the men's and women's races the winner rode off the front early on and soloed to a boring-to-watch victory. It's pretty cool to think that next year I will be at Elite CX Worlds as it is in Louisville. At least I won't have to get up at 4:50am to watch.
After those races I ate something and waited for it to warm up a bit. Also the 4th stop of the 2012 Supercross was on (yes, I like motorcycle racing too) so I watched that then headed out for a couple hours of riding.
It was insanely windy, but I wanted to get in some seat-time and hit some grave roads I'd never been on.

This is Farr Rd which runs between Anderson Rd and Old SR 37 north of Bloomington. It's a cool road and it climbs the entire way from Anderson to Old 37. I also planned to ride Bryant Creek road, which runs between Old 37 and (new?) 37. I was just going to ride out and back, but about halfway down it there's a creek (I'm guessing Bryant Creek) and you can tell it is probably dry in the summer, but it was hub-deep and I didn't want to get wet with it being ~38deg out, so I just turned around. I wanted to get ~2.5hrs in and I ended up over 2/under 2.5 but whatever.
So I'm going to spend the next couple of weeks just riding, with nothing in particular as an objective. Just riding along. And keep up on the core/other stuff. Then I need to start thinking about intervals. Which I love. Riding w/ purpose. Training.

No comments: