Sunday, February 05, 2012

How did this happen?

It went and became February on me! I can't keep up with time. It consistently blows my mind how quickly time seems to go by. I think I'm getting old.
But weakening bones and hair growing out of my ears didn't stop me from having a pretty good week of workouts. I got in some good rides, but the highlight was Wednesday. I decide to go out and do a power test. A power test is riding as hard as you can for 20minutes. Testing is important because the zones in which intervals are done are determined by your 20min power. But it's also a pain. Riding as hard as you can is, well, hard. I was expecting to post a low number because 1) it's Feb. and I haven't been riding a ton and 2) I have done no intensity in about a month. But it actually went really well. I finished 10watts below my best power, which I was pretty happy with.
Sunday we went out for the Sunday group ride. Ryan S and I were going to meet the group in town on their way out, but we missed them. And as it turns out we missed them by quite a bit. So we rode waaay hard to catch them on the road. Long story (kind of) short, we basically ended up doing a 30min threshold effort to catch the group. But, there were turns sitting in(power considerably below threshold), and my average power was around threshold which means when I was on the front I was turning well over threshold. So I was about half blown when we caught the group. Then after about 5min of reprieve a few accelerations occurred and it was basically full-on from there. The big group of probably 20 split into a group of far fewer which eventually ended up just 4 of us. I was keeping my fluid and food levels up, but at a little under 2hrs I came unhitched from the group of 4. I spent about 45min trudging solo and while it sucks to get shelled, it's good for me at the same time; you have to suffer to prosper as they say.
I was pretty wore out for the rest of the day and pretty much just sat around. Lindsay and I got an invite to a Super Bowl party, but I didn't really feel like putting the effort into leaving the house. And while I am not even a "fair weather fan" of football, I did watch the last 10min (which in football time is more like 1hr) of the game. Knowing virtually nothing about football, I'd say for those that are fans, it was probably a good game. It went down to the last 10 or so seconds. Plus everything I've read/heard indicates that Indy was a great Super Bowl host city. That's pretty cool. Of course if it had been a shitty Feb weather-wise, it could have been a different story.

I don't have any killer training pics this week, but I was digging for a battery charger or instruction manual or something and found my first cell phone and a Sony Discman. Sweet. Since I just took on the smartphone lifestyle it got me thinking and I realized that I've had just 5 phones (that I can remember). And that's dating back to 1997 (when I left for college). Pretty low number by today's standard. But I tend to hang onto electronics until it is totally outdated and/or just stops working.
Anywho, this week doesn't look quite as warm as last week, but still pretty good for Feb in Indiana. I'm going to try get out a few days this week for some good rides.

No comments: