Sunday, May 25, 2008

Slayer!

We didn’t just kill the Nashville 90 today we slayed it. More later…
Man, I feel like I’m back. I had a great week training. First, I got a full week in, which I haven’t for the last three or so weeks. Second, I had some good hard, fast rides.
Mon and Fri were standard shorter easier days, but Tuesday I went out w/ a fiery group and rode a fast 35miles and really worked the big climb of the ride. At the top of said climb, two were left, and I was one of them.
Wed I went out for a strength workout on the TT bike. I planned this workout a few weeks ago, before getting sick. The plan is 8min, 53x12 gearing ~60-70rpm, then 2 min rest (on flat ground) repeat 6 times (I only had time for 4 though). The planned result is for me to get stronger, gain a few lean pounds and increase my overall power. As it turns out, my course (Bottom rd from hill to hill) is perfect distance, but the intervals were far too easy. I talked to my coach friend, Matt and am going to change it up a little; I’ll have to shorten the interval to not run out of flat road, but pedal harder.
Thursday Ryan and I rode North Shore and it was a fast ride. I decided to attack most hills, then let him catch me and ~try to~ get back on his wheel. When he comes back around it’s like a freight train and is very hard to get back on, especially after an effort, so it was good training.
I have been training myself into comfort lately and am needing to do things like attack hills and get back on, or let myself get gapped and chase back on to force myself out of my comfort zone training. I’m lucky to have Ryan as a training partner, as his speed is about like motor pacing anyway.
So today Danny P came down and he Ryan and I rode the 90. I wish I could say Dan and I pulled our share(s), but we didn’t. We took our share of "novelty pulls" to make ourselves feel like we did some work, but Ryan did all the real work. Anywho, we killed the previous 90 record, set by Big Zach Ruble (pro tri) and Ryan (pro-caliber tri) by 4 minutes. Our rolling average was 23.3mph (rolling means from the start of 446 to 10th and bypass, as reference points to cut town miles out). Our average WITH town was over 21mph anyway. We killed that mother! And I rode great. I felt great and rode really strong. I forced myself to eat more than I normally do, which I think made a big difference. I never felt "bonkish," I never felt like was falling off, it was one of my better rides. Too bad it wasn’t a race.
Being sick took it out of me, but I think I got it back.
Tomorrow’s plan is for a MTB ride before next weekend’s MTB race @ BCSP. Hopefully the weather allows.

No comments: