Sunday, August 24, 2008

Indy Stage Race


While in a Walgreens in Indy getting some post-race foods (pic2), I noticed this Hannah Montana pregnancy test display. Parents, watch you tweens, the Hillary Duff abortion kit may be next!



Pic 2 is my choice of nourishment after racing 2 races Saturday. Chippos for salt, dried fruit for sugar and turkey Slim Jim for protein. This all turned out to be a good idea, as i ended up in stand still traffic for 50min on I465 south on the way back.
The Race(s):
Saturday was RR/TT. The RR for this stage race is a Cat 1-2-3 race, so there are a few people there that ride out of my league, figuratively and literally. A break of 7people spent the whole race off the front, so the rest of the group rode for 8+ places. Two other guys and myself did 100% of the work the whole race. Eventually it occurred to me that (at least) 2 Cat 3's were sitting on my wheel (and the two guys I was working with), so we forced them into the mix of working, but they short pulled every time, like total pussies, leaving the bulk of the work to me and the two other dudes. 5 of us broke off at the very end and I took 5th in that sprint for 12th oa.
Two hours or so later was the 5mile TT.
Won that mother*.
*-actually, another guy and I went exactly the same time, 9min 44sec, so we both won. What are the odds of that? So....
...that dude and I went onto race three, the Indy State Fairgrounds crit tied for 1st. here's how it played out on the line: me/St. Vincent guy tied for 1st, another St. Vincent guy 2nd, IN Hand Center guy third. St. Vincent shows up w/ 6 guys, Hand Center 4 and me alone. I said to myself prior to start "this could be ugly for me." A break formed on the gun, but the 4 of us (2 St. Vincent, 1 Hand Center, me) were all marking each other, and let the break go (it ultimately lapped the field). The Hand Center dude attacked and attacked, totally fruitless. Eventually St. Vincent took the front, as they should, and I just sat on them. Knowing my only chance was to break off, I took off on the past lap, got a little gap, but came into the final corner way fast (~36mph) and had to brake hard to not kill myself and was caught. All three of the people I needed to beat, beat me on the line (my sprint leaves much to be desired) and I ended up fourth for the race weekend, which is off the podium, but in the money!
The overall points took some figuring and re-figuring since Hand Center team leader Bob Brooks, who can no longer hang w/ the big boys, down-graded to a Cat. III and while not a factor on GC, took points from a few of us in the RR.
Overall, a good weekend of racing (and winning $$).
After the race I went to Town Run MTB park to meet a dude to sell him my old V-Brakes. I brought my MTB and thought I'd ride a little if I felt up to it, I felt fine so busted out two laps of TRTP. I'll race there in a few weeks, so I figured a little refresher couldn't hurt, since I ride there only once a year at the race.
The Indy riders are so fast there, I just have to settle in and ride my own race. I crashed and totally threw my back out there last year, and I DO NOT want a repeat of that.
I'm going to take a few days off this week for some rest. I plan to go to Louisville this Sunday to watch some friends in Ironman.

No comments: