Monday, August 18, 2008

My Tuesday morning (and week)




Last Tuesday was a MMSF 10mile TT in the evening, so I spent the morning getting my cyclocross bike ready for the season. Well, kind of for the season. Me and a couple of guys are going to do the Huntington Challenge, which is a 140mile race over two days w/ on and off road sections, but you can't switch bikes. I usually run my CX bike w/ a single ring on front, but I'm going to need standard road gearing for this race, so it's set up 53x39.
Plus Rawny Semba, master wheel builder, built the tasty wheels in picture #2. These are my time tested, trusty King hubs laced onto a Salsa CX specific rim. I'm psyched on these wheels.
This brings me to my next rave: disc brakes on MTB.
Yesterday was the DINO race at Logansport. This would be my second ride and first race discs. Holy crap! I would never have thought that brakes could make you go faster, but I was able to carry more speed into turns and obstacles, brake way smoother and w/ less effort, which allowed me to re-accelerate faster. Blew my mind. Having to bleed the rear 7 times to get it functional was totally worth it.
After the race (which saw another mod pack finish by be, but I rode really, really well, others just rode really, really, better), we went to my parent's to hang for a while and had pizza. Lindsay and I also stopped by the old Frankfort ice cream staple, The Milky Way. I have buried the hatchet I wielded for so long w/ the owners of the place, and I enjoyed the ice cream much. And the visit w the 'rents.

This weekend is a triple-header w/ the Indiana Stage Race in Indy. RR/TT Sat. Crit Sun. I hope to be feeling good and peppy, the season is getting loooong.

No comments: