Monday, July 20, 2009

Green thumbs, tired legs

I mentioned Lindsay's mom was in town this weekend from Oklahoma. We all had a nice weekend, we went to The Scenic View Restaurant Friday night. The place has a miles and miles view over Lake Monroe and good food too. Lots of outdoor seating made it pretty awesome.
She also re-did my garden. It looks pretty good, but I had it set up pretty sweet w/ 2 or 3 onions, 3 or 4 bulbs of garlic and about 100 5' tall weeds. It looks okay though.

Below is my crop: some garlic and a couple onions. Being a farmer is pretty rewarding.
Sunday I raced MTB in town at Wapahani MTB park. The Wap is a 30min ride form my house, so I decided to just ride out the race rather than drive. I scooped up buddies Ronnie Semba and Zach Widman on the way out and cruised w/ them (it was Ronnie's first race!).
We (Cat I) were doing 6 laps at ~20min/lap. That's a relatively short lap, but there is quite a bit of climbing per lap, so it was a pretty hard race. Basically you were probably climbing for more than half the lap, time wise. Plus the Wap is very rooty, so the racers were getting a full body beating; my arms were getting sore/tired toward the end, as were other guys I talked to. Overall it was a good race and cool to have a race so close. I did come pretty much completely unglued on the 5th lap and lost time, but I got wind on the 6th and made up much of it. I was still beaten by two "rivals" (friendly rivals, but guys that are around my speed that I tend to keep marked), and got 8th overall. I was pretty worked and still had to ride home. I had in almost 4hrs of ride time by the time I got home. Made for over 10hrs for the week. Nice. I must admit though, my butt muscles (from climbing hard) and legs are a bit tired today. I felt much better after an easy spin this a.m., but tired legs are a drag.
This week;
Tuesday eve there a 10mile TT I'm going to do w/ my (slightly) more narrow position. Maybe I'll go faster???
This weekend I have to go to a family reunion in Frankfort. There's a MTB race I had planned on doing, but there's people coming form all over for this reunion, so I'm going too. I'm supposed to bring 2 liters Mt. Dew for it and I haven't been able to bring myself to buy it yet. I think I may buy it in Martinsville on the way up so I'll blend in w/ the 'Dew swillin hillbillies there.
Plus Mount Ventoux is Sunday in the Tour de France. That will be good.

No comments: