Sunday, July 05, 2009

Wild wild life

This pic was snapped out of our "computer room"/spare bedroom window the other evening. That'd be an eastbound deer.

This weekend was a racing double-header. And a rainy mess to boot.
Saturday (July 4th) was a Short Track Cross Country (STXC) MTB race at Muskatatuck Park in North Vernon, IN. I had never done a STXC race before, so I didn't really know what to expect. It was a good little course, w/ laps being ~2minutes long. The race quickly split between the pro/elite men and the Cat I men (though we all started together). There were ten entries, 4 were pro and 6 were Cat I. I got 6th overall, but 2nd CatI. And I lost to the Cat I in front of me by a bike length or two; I could have had him w/ one more lap!
Then it started raining. And it kept raining. All night.
So for Sunday's AMBC cross country race, it was going to be muddy. And it was. I pre rode the front section of the course, which was a total slick, sloppy, muddy mess and had three near crashes. That's three too many for a warm up ride. I decided that I would start toward the back, go my own pace around corners and rocks and try to pick riders off on the climbs. Plus I figured if the conditions improved, I'd be able to actually ride as the course became ridable. But I was going to be happy w/ last place as long as I stayed on two wheels and didn't get hurt. My plan worked pretty good. I passed a lot of riders throughout, and conditions did improve. I was able to ride somewhat aggressively about halfway through the third lap and into the 4th. I ended up 13th overall, but like 8th for Cat I. That's one of my best Cat I/Expert finishes. Attitude is everything; I went in w/ 0 expectation, and came out pretty good, though very muddy.
And while they probably won't make me sweet bike like they did for Fabian, I'm pretty pleased w/ my ride.
Muncie Endurathon is next weekend and I'll be there yet again as the official event mechanic. Always a fun weekend to catch up w/ the Muncie folks. Plus I usually take my road bike and go for a ride or two on the old training grounds in Muncie. And hit the old coffee shops. Good fun.

1 comment:

mccrory said...

Hey Adam, glad you'll be there for Muncie. I'm looking to go sub-5 this year, if the stars align just right and I suck a bunch of wheel on the bike Nice work racing this weekend!