Monday, January 31, 2011

Weekend, CX worlds, etc.

I made my last post late last week because I was gone early in the week, and this past weekend wasn't over-eventful, but for the sake of a post I'll throw sumpin down.
I considered setting an alarm to get up a 5am to watch (live) the women race the World Cyclocross championships in Germany. But I was so sure Katie Compton (of the US) would win that I didn't bother. I got up a little before 8am to watch the men race, but checked the wmns results first. Katie lost. Got second. Man, she has been on fire this whole year and couldn't get it done on the most important one of them all. Bummer.
The men's race was good and Jon Page (of the US) was cruising in the front group, but apparently flatted in lap 3 and was out of it. Still a good race to watch though.
I'm sure 0% of my ~4 readers came here for a commentary on a race that happened a few days ago half way across the globe, so sorry.
Later Sunday there was group ride and big group rides are good this time of year. Several people came down from Indy (including a teammate of mine) and we all set out for ~3.5hrs. Temp was near 40, but there were some nasty winds blowing. I tried to take the front in hard wind sections to force myself into working hard. It ended up being a pretty good ride and wore me out just the right amount. I really dig that people drive down to ride w/ (us) here in B-town. It makes me feel so good about living here. That people who could pop out of their own garages and be riding choose to drive for ~1hr to ride where (I) live is awesome and says something about Bloomington. It's even better when the weather is more favorable and we can hang out after the ride, instead of changing clothes and staying inside to warm up.
Today (Tues) I had to go to a health screening thing for insurance. I had to fast for 12hrs prior, which sounds like a big thing. But I realized after doing it and getting home that I regularly don't eat for 12-14hrs anyway (from ~9pm-10 or 11am). It did cut into my riding time though by setting me back about 1hr. So I skipped riding today, but I think I'll be okay. Besides rumour is we have some heavy weather coming in the form of ice. So it's going to be all inside riding for a few days anyway.
I also took the time to read this entire interview. It took me about 3hrs to read, but the interview took 7hrs to conduct. It's Paul Kimmage of the London Sunday Times talking to Floyd Landis. Kimmage was a pro in the 80's on the successful RMO team and wrote the first book addressing doping in cycling, "Rough Ride." He's a good interviewer (not afraid to ask tough questions, follow them up, etc) and a good one for the topic of doping in cycling, having been there. If you're as intrigued as I am about doping in cycling, it's a must read.

1 comment:

Randy Lewandowski said...

WOW, that was a really good read but long. 2 comments:
I thought that him and L.A. were better friends but it does not surprise me what he says that L.A. does not allow anyone very close to him.
I think Landis has no morals for being raised a Mennonite.