Sunday, March 09, 2008

LET ME OUT(side)!

Well, the weather took another dump on us this week. But today turned out okay; but just okay.
I had some very good trainer workouts this week. I was reluctant to put my leg over the bike to get on, but once I got going, it was all good. I am getting cabin fever big time. I’m ready for consistent outside riding.
Today (Sun) FR, RS and I decided to ride all the way out hwy 446 and back because this road, being a hwy, was sure to be cleared and snow free. This is a (relatively) flat 52mile ride. I had in mind a moderate tempo ride. We killed it (of course). It was a nasty headwind going out, which we hammered into, and a stiff tail wind coming back. I know one would think ‘stiff tail wind, sweet!’, not so much the case when you’re riding w/ a plow horse like RS. See, you don’t really get much draft benefit with a tail wind, so when he is riding 28-34mph, it is basically raw power to stay on. My 132lb, chicken leg self just doesn’t have the power that his 185lb, tree trunk leg self has. That = me having to work doubly hard to not get dropped. Well, I stayed on, AND pulled up hills. This is great road race training for me, so I’ll take it. However, I felt like I had been beaten for 30minutes with a aluminum baseball bat when I got home, so I hit the Ultragen drink stuff I got and hope for the best tomorrow; it worked last week, so fingers crossed!
Today’s ride was about 1 hour shorter than I wold have liked, but also about twice as hard, so I only got in 11hrs this week. That is fine.
On the project front: I made a hook-hanger thing for my spare race wheels, which are kept in wheel bags. This way their off the (cold) ground and hanging. I also made a closet rod thing for the spare room closet, which houses my cycling jackets, vest, various warmers, helmets and such. It had a rod in it, but that as running long ways, so I made one going cross ways out of a old broom stick and a 2x2. I know these "projects" are simple by most standards, but hey, DYI has to start somewhere!?!
Looks like spring is nearly here (I hoe that didn’t jinx it).

1 comment:

mat steinmetz said...

I feel you on the tail winds. size=absolute power. You could take a 200 lb weekend warrior and he would have more absolute power than you. Just the way it is.

Your in double trouble when you're trying to stick with an athlete like RS. Great job hanging on. I got my ass dropped a few times in situations like that in Solvang.

Mat