Sunday, April 18, 2010

The best way to win...

Everyone knows the best way to win a bike race is off of a solo break w/ no one else in the picture.
Flip side.
The worst way to loose is off of a solo break and being swept up by a charging field 10yards from the line.
And so went my Sunday.
I had a pretty hard week training (more later on that), but I went over to Vandervort's Corner road race in Ohio knowing that it's a mostly flat and wind swept course. That's not really the most suited course for me but whatever, a race is a race. Some of us call this race Voldemort's Corner just to be funny and because it sounds similar; there lies some irony I will explain later.
Basically, huge long boring story short (kind of), flayers and attacks were going off form the gun and I was trying to stay toward the front, chase down moves here-and-there, but not get too panicked too early (it's a 60mile race). I was not feeling particularly good or strong (from my hard-ish week, more later) but I was toward the front holding my own and contributing when necessary.

(Here's me in the driver's seat w/ probably 3-4 or so laps to go)

With two to go it was all back together and a guy took off solo. W/ just two to go I take anything as a threat, so I bridged. No one chased, so the dude and I worked together for maybe 2-3minutes, then I rode him off my wheel when the rod tilted up. I looked back and had a nice cushy gap, so i decided to drill it and go alone. For some reason our lead car pulled over and I got in front of it. Add that to the dude that I had dropped being reintegrated and I had just pulled on my "cloak of Harry Potter," which is 1) ironic given we were at Voldemort's Corner and 2) one of my favorite Paul Sherwen sayings. Anywho, I was out of sight/out of mind.
So I rode 2 laps (more like 1 3/4) solo. That's 40minutes as hard as I could go. I really didn't think it would stick at first, but as the gap grew and/or stayed steady, I was pretty sure I was going to pull it off. It wasn't my day though, as I was wept up by the charging peloton about 10-20 yards from the line. It's funny, in my heart rate file, about 1min form the end of the file, you can see where my HR goes from 181 to 192, which is when I knew it was all or nothing. It was actually all AND nothing though, as I went "all in" and still lost.
Oh well, it was a great ride, but a bad result. It happens. I did all I could.

(solo)


(Sitting in)

(this is the finish. I'm on the far right. I had just been caught and the finish was probably 2-3 seconds after this)

So the week leading up to this was supposed to be a recovery week, but I was feeling too good for recovery. I did some hard intervals Tuesday, some threshold Thursday and a 20min power test Friday. I had a goal number for 2010 that I wanted to hit for a 20min test and I exceeded it Friday. I was sure it was attainable, but i didn't really expect to do it in April. I'm pretty happy/excited w/ that (and yes I could set a new goal for later in the year, but...).
With all that, this week will be a recovery week. The road race I was planning to do Saturday got canceled, but there's a TT Sunday on the agenda. So what was going to be a double-header weekend is looking more like a TT Sunday only.



No comments: