Monday, April 12, 2010

Hueston Woods RR, etc.

This weekend I got back to racing. I went over for stop #2 ( I think) of the Ohio Valley Spring Series at Hueston Woods State park outside of Oxford, OH.
It was very nice day and I started off feeling pretty good. The first two laps things stayed pretty much together, so I tried to move up any opportunity I got to stay close to front.
We were doing 7 ~9mile laps and after2 one guy took off solo. No body really chased immediately.
After a while a group of guys took off in pursuit. I have no idea why, but I decided to go with this group so I bridged to them. Problem was I brought most of the main field with me. As soon as I noticed that it was all together, I immediately countered my own move (which is probably the hardest move in cycling, the bridge/counter) and it stuck. It was 6 of us chasing the lone dude out front. We caught him and had a group of 7. We rode very short pulls and kept our speed high and gained a big gap over the field.

(This is me at the finish. I look like I've ridden myself retarded and I pretty much had)

I was hands down the strongest "climber" in the break and I was dropping the group on the climbs, but had to sit and wait knowing that they could roll faster as a group than I could alone. Finally w 2.5laps (~20miles) to go, I rolled off the front (OTF) on a climb and made a sizable gap.
One guy bridged to me and we decided to go it as a duo. It stuck and we rode those 2.5 laps alone.

(this is me and the dude that bridged to me probably w 1 to go. We were climbing hard at this point to maintain/extend our lead. You can tell by our faces we were going at this point)

My break-mate attacked me on the flat after a downhill and I didn't panic, thinking I could close him down on the uphill finish that followed. I misjudged the gap he had opened (ie: I should have panicked a little) and I closed it down to ~2bike lengths, but lost it at the line. We had almost 4 minutes on the rest of the race though.
Good day; happy w/ the result and that's in the money, on the box and all that.

(riding the break prior to it splitting up)

The week leading to this past weekend (or last week as some my call it) I had some good workouts including a 35minute full gas TT sesh. I skipped riding Friday all together though because I was supposed to do a 1hr ez recovery ride, but it was 35* in the a.m. and I have been totally spoiled by it being 70 most days. So I just couldn't force myself into tights/gloves, etc for a 1hr ez ride.
The 10day is looking damn fine right now though, so this week should be golden. W/ plenty more racing on the calendar, I say keep this nice weather around!

No comments: