Friday, August 18, 2006

The Week

It’s been about a week, but I was gone to Chicago last weekend and Monday, so here’s my catch up.
Saturday Lindsay took me to Indy to get the bus to Chitown. We were looking for bus station, but it just left from a bus stop, so it was hard to find, but we did. The trip there was perfect. Straight shot, 3 hours exactly. I brought my Ipod and some magazines, so I was good. When I got there we walked around the city for a few hours and checked stuff out. I looked at the Sears Tower (and about fell over backwards, that thing is tall), we went to Millenium Park, which is a new park, I believe finished in 2004, in the heart of downtown. It’s really cool and has a lot of cool art-arcitecture. It wasa really nice day, so it was hella packed. Then still while downtown we ate at a Chicago deep dish pizza joint called Giordano’s or something. It was good. We got the deep dish spinach pie. We walked around downtown a little more, then took the subway to Evin’s place, about 2.5 miles w/nw of downtown. This was my first time on a subway and it was shoulder-to-shoulder packed with people. Most were wearing White Sox gear, so we figured a game had gotten out, but I’m not sure it’s baseball season right now. Anywho, Evin said that it is usually not so full and that was the busiest he’s seen it. We hung out at his place for awhile then walked around his borough (called Wicker Park) for a while, checking out record and book stores. Then we went to a Thai joint to eat and everything I ordered had some ingredient that I was allergic to. I wanted to steer away form the things I normally get at Thai places, but the first, like, 3 things I ordered had either oyster sauce or shrimp base, so I just stuck to safe old Pad Thai, which I seem to always end up with.
The next day was the day of the X/Rollins Band concert we were going to at The House of Blues. We grabbed a breakfast bite at a place called The Milk and Honey Café. Pretty good, but a little pricey. It was all we could find opened though. Then we went to the beach on Lake Michigan and hung for a while. It was nice and very big. After cruising around the beach we went to Greek Town and ate Gyro’s for lunch. Then we chilled at Evin’s pad for awhile and left for the show. The show totally rocked. Rollins was awesome, but I’ve seen them a few times (or maybe once??) before. I had never seen X and was blown away. They are amazing. Their guitar player, Billy Zoom, is as impressive as Pearlman on violin.
Then Sunday we walked around UIC, where Evin is working on his Masters, ate lunch in Greek Twon again, but at a place called Taco/Burrito King, which ruled, and I hit Union Station to wait for the bus. The bus ride back was not a fluid as there, with 2 stops. Our last stoop was in Zionsville, which is about 5 miles form Indy, so I was anxious to get going again. Finally we did, and here I am ( a few days later).
Tues: Rode State Forest loop hard, but solo, not knowing how the three days I took off wold leave me. I flet good and rode strong, I should have called people.
Wed: Rode Bottom Road loop @ tempo, but slightly higher tempo, ‘cause I still felt good.
Thurs: 4 hills ride, good, still feeling it.
Fri (today): Normal short easy day, felt sluggish. Maybe to be expected. Should have backed off last couple days. Oh well, tomorrow’s off, then MTB racin Sunday.
Man, that’s a long post. Sorry (and thanks) to those who have made it this far.

2 comments:

Tim Green said...

I made it to the end, lol. Sounds like you had a good time in Chitown and some good eats. Good luck with your race.

Tim

Gina said...

Sounds like you had a great trip! It's nice to get out of town.