Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Crash! (the gods must be angry...)


I crashed. On road. I haven't crashed on road since, like, 1999 in a Road Race at Purdue.
A car was passing us on our left, in a left hand bend (unsafe pass), so we were keeping right to give the car room. The roads around here are erroding from all of the rain, and I hit a spot of road that had fallen away. I high-sided going 22mph. My file goes form 22 to 0. The picture is of my elbow, that's all I really ended up with. My bike, clothing, etc. were all fine. I have a litlle chip in the carbon on my LH shift lever, which some clear nail polish (thanks Lindsay) touched up, and I had to true my ft wheel. I was fortunate. It was a spectacular crash that probably ~should~ have been worse; 22mph is pretty high speed to hit pavement. I got up, checked everything, straighten my left shifter out and finished the ride (it happened ~20miles into 60). I was glad RS talked me out of turning in after the crash.
Other than my left wrist being sore, I'm totally fine.
I say "the gods must be angery" because today I was doing big gear TT intervals and I broke a spoke. 2 mis-haps in two days!
Now, the wheel I have came from a customer who wanted to replace it because he was breaking spokes, but 1) he weighed probably 250, so I figured I could get away w/ fixing it and using it and 2) I've been using it for about a year trouble free. I fixed it tonight, we'll see how long it lasts (the tension is all whacked).


This is a turtle I saw on the side of the road this a.m. (Bottom Rd) while doing TT intervals. The picture does not do him justice; he was huge. I wanted to put my foot next to him for size reference, but I was afraid he may bite me. I'd say his shell was about a foot across and 14-16" long. His tail was probably 10" long. I wonder how old a turtle this size is.


This is the pic taken after my 40k PR. it may be a crappy picture, real small and/or pixel-y. Whatever, you get what you pay for.

1 comment:

Gina said...

I don't blame you not putting your foot by the creature after the bad luck you've had, they come in threes and that would have for sure been it!