Sunday, October 22, 2006

It's been a few (I was sick)

It’s been a little long, but I was sick for a couple days.
Since I last posted, we (RS Tim Cote and I) went on a good cx ride Wed. We went out a piece of single track that leads to some "country-ish" roads that lead to some gravel roads that leads to a gravel climb. This climb is on a road called Gross rd. Good name for a nasty climb. Basically you turn off of a gravel rd onto Gross, which is gravel too and climbs the entire road until you get Old SR 446. Gross becomes paved about halfway up, but is still climbing. It’s a toughie.
Then Thursday I went out alone and rode the Clear Creek trail in the rain. It was pretty miserable. It was cold and rainy, but I wanted to get a race simulation in, which meant riding the whole CCT (~11 miles) keeping my heart rate over 170. I had a bit of a tailwind on the way out ( I think) and couldn’t get the HR up, but kept in there on the way in. It was a decent workout, but I was cold and soaked.
Friday I was 100% sick. I felt bad all week, sore body and iffy stomach, etc, but Friday was the day. I was messing around before work because I didn’t feel up to a ride in the cold. I started to not feel good and went upstairs to lie down. Then I threw up. I called into work and stayed in bed all day.
I went to work Saturday and worked all day (9-6). I felt okay, but just okay. And tired, like wore out.
Then today was the opened for the Bloomington Underground Cylocross Series (http://www.truesport.com/Bike/2006/flyers/bloomingtoncross.html); and I felt like, well, not good. So I went to the race, and there was a nearly record turnout. These are the races where it’s show and go. No one knows the course until we get there. No entry fee. No prizes/awards. Just grass-roots racing. It’s all good fun. However, they are very competitive. Jean-Luc Serreire, Michael Feske, Ryan Shannahan, Issac Neff, there’s fast people there. We rode to the course, and I rode awesome. Two days off and one of full bed rest does a body good. I got 5th, which is my best B-Town result and I was beat by people that, barring something going wrong on there part, I can’t beat on my best day. SO I was happy. I beat some people I didn’t expect to beat. I rode really good; I was on fire.
I have been drinking plenty of OJ, taking at least one multivitamin, and drinking green or black tea everyday to get my systems up. Hopefully I shake this clod (or whatever it is) by tomorrow or so I can "train." ( the quotes note that my weekly hours are so low that I shouldn’t consider what I’m doing trianing.)

1 comment:

Gina said...

Sorry you've been ill. That sucks so bad!

Congrads on the race though! That is awesome! A personal best is always a great thing! And if there was a record turn-out, well 5th is FABULOUS!