Friday, October 27, 2006

Rain

Past two days (Thursday and Friday) have been wash outs.
Back to Wednesday though. We went out to ride cross bikes for about 2 hours. We deviated from our original plan to checkout some trials off of Fairfax rd out by Lake Monroe that we had never been on. Well, as it turns out one of our party had been on these trail before and it turned into a "oh, I used to ride here all the time, I know exactly where these go" situation. Well, it turns out "used to ride here all the time" was probably about 20 years ago and we ended up riding about 50yrds down a several different trails, then turning around because they don’t’ go anywhere anymore. Finally we get out of this little trial system and back to the road, but then we turn off of Fairfax onto some gravel drive that he "used to ride all the time and knows exactly where it goes." We climb this huge gravel hill and it basically leads to a woods w/ no trails in it one way, a big "Posted No Trespassing" gate the other way and a farm house (w/ dogs) the other. SO we take the farm house route, great. The dogs go crazy and I’m waiting for the owner to be woken up and get his shotgun (luckily he doesn’t). So we haul ass across his huge opened grass field to try to find an outlet to the road, but there isn’t one. We end up hiking the bikes through the woods (not on trail, we’re blazing here) looking for the gravel road we started on. We did find it eventually, but not before hearing gunshots off in the distance (not something you want to hear lost in a woods in BFE @ the beginning of hunting season). We got to the gravel road, got to Fairfax and rode back in. We covered about 25miles, but a lot on road (my cx bike is not set up to climb on the road) and the rest total junk off road miles. Oh well, it’s bound to happen sometimes. For the record though, I hate "exploring" on rides. I’m a course rider. I like pre-lain courses that I can just ride, on road or MTB. I don’t want to have to do the exploring, I want to do the riding. I don’t even really like the first time I do a new road ride. I like knowing where I am, how long I have left, when I’m going to be where, etc. That’s just my style. Peeps in Muncie always gave em crap for always doing the same rides, but that’s just how I train. I suppose this is the time of year to have that stuff happen though.
So, like I said, today it raining again, and it looks like it’ll be a no ride day. These mornings I have been working on my other bikes. My MTB has been in about as many pieces as it can be since the 24 hour (Oct. 1), so I’m getting it ready to be put back together. All the parts are cleaned and ready to be re0installed, but I need to overhaul the suspension linkage and overhaul the hubs before it’s RTR. Whatever, I probably won’t ride it until Jan or Feb, realistically.
Weather pending, there’s an event tonight (Friday) of Scary Stories in a local park Lindsay and I may go check out. This could be cool ,depending on who the story teller is. It says "not recommended for children," so that part seems promising.
CX Sunday is Brookeside Cross in Indy this weekend. I think I’m going to race the "B’s" race, as 1) I already have "B" points from the OH UCI race, 2) B is 45min ("A" is 60min) and 3) I can race "B" at the IN ST CX Champs and have a shot of winning. I may be able to do okay in A’s, but okay as pack-filler, I can’t win. That’s the plan.

No comments: