Monday, November 06, 2006

CX sunday; the 'rents

Yesterday (Sunday) was a B-town CX’er. #2/5. This one was around the SRSC, which is the "new" gym, then behind/in front of some of the sorority houses on Jordan av. Anywho, this was a tough course. It was about 50/50 pavement and ungroomed grass, which is very hard to ride through. Plowing through it is a more appropriate phrase than riding through it. It had two barriers on a up hill, so you had to run your bike up the hill after the barriers before remounting. It’s just too hard to remount on a uphill and if you miss your pedal or something you have to get back off anyway, so the safe bet ids to run the whole hill. I rode really good and ended up 4th. I was the final finisher on the lead lap, which means everyone behind me was either lapped or dropped out. I couldn’t get my HR settled in, which is typical for CX, and furthers my thought that I NEED to warm up before these races. I start feeling settled around 35-40 minutes usually, and these are 45-50 min races, so I spend most of the race trying to fight off a heart attack. Probably not the best way to do it.
When I got home form the race I realized I had forgotten my key and Lindsay was riding MTB in Nashville, so I went back out and rode for another hour, pretty easy. I rode out on some of the gravel roads east of town. So all-in-all I had a pretty good day of riding.
Then last night my parents came down for Lindsay’s b-day (which is actually next weekend, but they’re busy then) and took us to a nice Italian joint (Puccini’s on 4th) to eat. It was a nice evening hanging out w/ them. We went to a couple of stores to look for few things my dad needed, so we were able to spend a few hours w/ them, which was nice.
Today I rode short on the road. Just to recover and try to work out this hurting in my right calf. I hit my right calf several times w/ my pedal on a run through part of the course yesterday. It was a pea-gravel section that couldn’t be ridden. And while carrying my bike and running I kept running my left pedal into my right calf. It feels like a deep tissue bruise, so I wanted to go out and get it moving w/ and easy hour or so. Done.
Looks like rain tomorrow, but I was planning on riding 35 or so on road. Maybe not now…

No comments: