Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Tailgating



I have had my eye on this field for a long time for CX practice. I think it's overspill parking/tailgating for IU football (it's right across from the stadium).
I made myself a little 7 or so minute loop w/ a run up and two natural barriers ( a stream bed and a tree stump). It also has a grind uphill grass section and a faster dirt down. It is a pretty good cross training ground.

On the way over I kind of told myself to ride hard, but knowing I can't really do race simulation for CX because it's just too hard of racing. It's been a few weeks since I've raced and I guess I forgot how f*****g hard it is to ride a bike in grass. My HR was definitely in "race sim" mode, and the loop was short enough that there was no recovery.
Plus, temps were low-mid 20's, and I had to stop and strip off some clothing because I was sweating way too much for as cold as it was. I guess all that means it was a pretty good workout.
Oh, but to reinforce my amature status, it should be noted I bothced a re-mount after the run up and slammed the back of seat into my leg...hard. It hurt(s). But hey, i guess even Sven nyes fell into a barrier and got a black eye earlier in the year. And last week Lars Boom crashed himself into serious injury in his warmup laps, or was that Niels Albert, whatever, maybe I'm not as D* as I think!
Yesterday (Tues) I got out to Panynetown for a ride-run-ride. It was cold, and the trail was covered in leaves making footing a little difficult, but I had an okay run. Actually, I fell on one of the downhil switchback because it was so leafy my feet just slipped right out from under me. No hurts or anything, just a spill. Oh, and there was a hunter on the trial as well. I hate guns and they make me nervous. Especially when it's some hillbilly out in a woods in rural Southern IN. I got my run in, but was a little uneasy knowing that some dude was out there listening for russling.
T-giving tomorrow! One of my fav's!
happy T-G'ing!

No comments: