Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Humbled by the hill

Another post Storm the Greens pic.

Monday I stayed inside and rode rollers rather than spin the legs out in the windy cold. Plus I had some serious bike cleaning to do form the weekend's mud fest, so I spun for ~45mn, then got to it. I opted for dish gloves over work gloves to hose (wash) the bike so my hands would stay dry, but they did nothing for warmth and my thumbs ended up numb. Whatever, they came back, I got my cx bike all cleaned, lubed and adjusted.
So Tuesday's ride brings the title of the post. I decided to go out and ride the infamous (among those who ride it) McGowan Loop. This is a ~30mile loop, mostly on gravel roads, but with the nastiest climb around here, paved or un (for the record, McGowan is un[paved]). I have never made it up the climb on the bike. Actually, only two people I know have, and one was on a MTB, and the other had a 34tooth front ring. I have a 39, but I have been riding fairly well and was confident I could power over this wall, which gains almost 300' in just 2/10 of a mile. When I hit it, I just held a line w/out too much loose gravel and focused. I was off walking in about the same place I always have been, but this time I felt defeated. In past years I never expected to make it, this time I did. I didn't have the proper respect for the hill, it humbled me. Well, all that and I just couldn't turn my 39x26 gear over. Bitch!
Today I rode my new CX practice course at the tailgate field. 3x3's. I did three sets of three laps w/ 1 minute rest between. It was a good workout for both skills and cardio. I wish I had started this before I had just two races left in the season, but oh well. I guess there's next year.
I am planning to ride road tomorrow, but it's raining now (~10pm), so if it drys up enough and is not frozen, that's the plan.

No comments: