Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Back inside! (and HB-R pics)

So the past two days have been indoor ride days. It was snowing and cols yesterday morning and 34* and, well, 34* today. A day like today would have been killer in January or February, but after having so many 60-70* days, I have a really hard time riding outside in this. It is almost as hard to ride trainer, I can (frown) and bear it.I did a good 1:15 TT workout today.
This dude took 643 pictures of Hillsboro Roubaix, and only 2 of them are of me! What was he thinking!?!

On the climb into the finishing circuit, probably second lap. You turn off of this climb onto a fast descent that turns to brick at the bottom.

This is the first climb back into town. This is a good picture to see the climb. Notice the (lack of)adherence to the center line rule by the field (the big group is taking up the entire road and the smaller group behind is on the wrong side of the center line completely!)

At the beginning (far right of pic).
I did eventually figure out how the group of 30-40 guys got away. I wrote an e-letter to the race director about it. Here it is:
Todd-
I'd like to register a complaint from the Cat III field. Our field split on the first lap, within 20 or so minutes. Not a major split, but maybe 10seconds. Shortly after this spilt the official for our race drove past our field, parked his SUV in the middle of the road and stopped our race to yell at us regarding yellow line violations. Not only did this move cause many locked up wheels and nearly a major pile-up(unsafe), but allowed the initial split a very big advantage (unfair). I was taken by much surprise to learn that after breaking away from what I thought was the main field and solo'ing the final lap to come in 44th place. That means that 40+ people were riding away from the rest of the race while we were stopped on the road at the mercy of the official telling us he "should disqualify our entire field" (except for the group up the road, I guess) . Now, there were TONS of yellow line violations; there were 100+ people on the road. I, personally, would have no idea how to effectively enforce a yellow line rule w/ this many people per race category. I do think, however, that the official in our race handled it poorly and all but decided our race results for us.
If you've read all this, thank you...just my $0.02.
--adam rodkey
BTW: great event, great support. job very well done.
-and his response-
Hey Adam
The center line rule was a real problem this year. I met with the officals for 20 minutes to discuss what to do after the race. I was not out there but there were two options one DQ the whole field or two DQ no one and try to fix problem for next year. Please know that all the officals and I are concerned with rider safety first. When riders cross the center line a rider could die. We plan to lengthen the loop and extend the time between fields so officals can DQ riders on the main roads face it the back roads are to narrow to enforce. I hope you know the offical was acting for your safety but I understand you may not agree. I hope you will try the race again, because the town really supports it and wants to put it's best foot forward. So much so that the weekend before the race nearly 25 volunteer spent hours cleaning trash from ditches on all those backroads. Please do not let one officals act spoil the 100's of man hours of hard work from people who do not understand why a grown man would wear tight shorts and ride bicycle on their bumpy roads go to waste. Montgomery county is one of the poorest in the state, but they are rich in spirit and are learning to love our sport. So I.thank you for concern and please know I will try to fix it for you.
Sincerely Todd Harris



No comments: