Sunday, May 10, 2009

Go!

It's said that a time trial raced properly is done so hard that you want to quit the whole time, but not so hard that you actually do.

The Monroiva TT series has 40k and 20k that can be done on the same course, you just turn around @ 10k for the 20 and @ 20k for the 40. I remember thinking @ the 10k mark that I could just turn around there and do a 20k instead of the full 40. But I didn't. Perfect effort I'd say.

It's kind of crazy how much damage and pain you can inflict in just 1hr on the bike. I'm always sore in places I am never otherwise sore after 40k's. The morning was chilly for time trialling, (high 40's) and there was a weird cross wind that I've never experienced on the Monrovia course before. It did give you a couple sections of pure tailwind, but fewer than a straight north or south wind would have. It made for a interesting and hard ride. I missed a personal best by ~30seconds (I went 56:13, which is a 26.5mph av), but I didn't really expect a PR in the cooler conditions. I am confident I can break the 55min barrier and go into the 54's this year.

The only problem w/ the 40k's is they start really early (7:30am). This leads to a couple of problems: 1)it's good I get a workout in early, but I am too tired from a)getting up early and b) riding super hard to do anything else worthwhile for the rest of the day, which leads to 2)all I want to do is eat for the rest of the day. I did manage to vacuum, clean the shower and take out the trash/recycling, but I had to force myself to. I also ate a bunch.
Easy ~50min this a.m., then a local 10mile TT tomorrow. I need to use the TT tomorrow to test my bike computer. I am using a different tire than I have in the past (700x20, rather than 23) and my computer setting was way off w/ it. 40k is 24.8miles and my comp reported 30.3! I did the "rollout" test yesterday when I got home to see what I come up with and the 700x20 on my TT bike rolls out 20mm shorter than the 700x23 (2076 vs. 2096) on the road bike! I couldn't believe this finding, so I did it again and got the exact same number. We'll see tomorrow I get 10miles on the dot.
Well, I don't race again for a couple weeks. Next line is BCSP MTB race May 31. There's another 40k that day, but I'll miss that one. I need to send my coveted "Sub hour Club" shirt up w/ someone and exchange the size M for a S though; they're a little husky.
And that'll be the end of this picture-less post. I'll probably mow our yard tonight. Blah.

No comments: