Sunday, May 24, 2009

Where are my kudos?

(bonus point to anyone who knows whom the title quote is lifted from)

I should be given a humanitarian award so far today. As I let up the garage door to go ride this a.m., a beagle/russel mix ran into the garage (or car hole to less fancy people [anyone know that quote??])/basement. I got a hold of her and called the number on her tag, but the owner's voicemailbox is full. We put her in the basement and Lindsay continued to try to call the owner, to no avail, while I rode.
While I riding I think I spent equal amounts of time hammering and getting turtles off of the road. I snapped this pic of one critter I left on the road. I thought about trying to "tail" him Steve Irwin style, but I felt far less agile in my racing cleats than The Croc Hunter was in his safari boots.I did have a good ride though. I ended up by myself, and rode out, climbed Shilo rd, rode across South Shore dr then went form Helmsburg up Grandma Barnes rd. I've only ever gone down GMB road, and I'll say this: GMB is a bitch (of a climb). I wasn't feeling very good (back hurt, stomach not feeling right and legs not great) the whole way out, but I found out when I turned back I was riding into the wind. It was light, but enough to push you back a little. Then coming in on 45 I passed a triathlete, gave him a wave and gapped him (not sure who it was). He then sped up and was maintaining my speed, but staying well behind. As soon as I noticed him lingering, I instantly went into "solo-break-being-chased" training mode. Now I don't mind people marking me for a workout at all, but if I want a result at Fishers this year, I think solo is about the only way I'll produce it (those who know the finish there understand), so this was the perfect opportunity to ride solo outside myself w/ someone chasing. I rode way harder for way longer than I wanted to but got him dropped eventually.


Here's the dog I found. I got her back to her home (which is 3 houses down it turns out) later in the afternoon. I took her on a walk (yeah I use rope for leash, so what) and her owner called while I was walking her. She's out of town, but her roommate is in town so she told me to just take her to their house and let her inside.

No comments: