Tuesday, September 12, 2006

another chore day

It’s raining something fierce today. So far this a.m. I’ve cleaned my road bike really well (got caught in the rain yesterday [more later]), done laundry and cleaned the bathroom.
Sunday’s Race:
Sunday was the DINO Series finale’ in Indy. Final series MTB race of the year. It hadn’t rained there for about two weeks and the course was the driest I think I’ve ever seen it. And super fast. I rode really well, past a few people and felt pretty good throughout the race. We raced 4 laps, and by my third and fourth, I was riding really well, just on auto-pilot. My trail memory was really kicking in and I was just flowing. Too bad all the locals were "just flowing" from the gun and I ended up 26th out of 32. Not too bad, considering about 8 minutes separated all of us. My dad showed up to watch, which was cool. I didn’t see him until I finished, but still cool. I felt like crap when I finished, the old standard stomach killing after hammering for 2 hours, which hasn’t plagued me much this year. That course is so fast that I had very little time to get in 1)GU 2) salt tabs and 3) water. This combo led to an imbalance (probably too low sodium) and the stomach aches that follow. No big deal, I laid down in the grass for a while and felt better. That, of course, turned out to be a mistake, as I have bites all over me now. I can hardly sleep I itch so bad.
Yesterday I decided to ride outside rather than my usual spin on the rollers. I rode the Hoosier Hills 20k route, which is a short ~17miles from my door. I just wanted to spin it out and ride easy, but about halfway through I heard thunder and saw the dark clouds rolling in. I got totally poured on for about 10 minutes and was soaked 100%. Oh well, it happens, I‘ve been pretty fortunate this year. Actually, in terms of racing it was almost a perfect weather year. A couple of the OVR road races had some rain (or snow/hail), but that’s to be expected.
So toady is a forced day off, hopefully back on tomorrow. Then next weekend is the MTB race at Brown County St. Park (non DINO), then I’m taking my MTB apart for overhaulin to tale place over the next month or so. No hurry on the MTB overhaul, I’m not likely to ride it again until Jan or Feb.
I re-geared my cross bike last week and need to put on new brake pads, overhaul the hubs, and headset and pull the BB to re-grease its threads. I’d like to get this done by next week, but we’ll see. Plus I need new tires for it before I attempt to race on it. I can ride it fine, but they’re pretty much road tires at this point. I’m sure we’ll be stating up the long CX rides next week; looong gravel road climbs that you can barely make it up (which is why I re-geared form a 48t front ring to a 42t), this should be fun!

No comments: