Sunday, January 25, 2009

Another cold one, and some dirty work



Today was #3 in the Bloomington Underground CX Series. I reluctantly suited up and headed out w/ a 14* temp. Two other brave souls were at the meeting place and we rolled to the course together, unsure of whether the race wold be happening or not. Well, not only was the course set up and ready to go, 4 others were there already to join in. RD Kirkham forgot the timer clock, and it was cold enough we decided to ride 5 laps, rather than going by time (normally 45min). This ended up being right around 30min, which was fine. I cruised in for a second place after leading lap 1, then unable to shut the door on B-Town's Polish phenom, Tomas.

I spun for ~45min on the rollers when I got home. I miscalculated my hours for the week and thought that the roller time would put me over 10hrs, but when I got it all downloaded I was actually slightly below (9hrs 42min). Bummer.

I added squats to my workout routine this week. Friday was the first day for them, and for anyone who has ever done weighted squats in there life, you know how much it hurts for the days that follow. Good pain, but pain all the same. My hamstrings have been bothering me hard efforts as of late, so I figured squats will help to strengthen/balance out my hamstrings (and legs in general, though lunges are part of my routine too). It'll take some getting used to though.

-The dirty work:

I got my tires glued onto my new race wheels today. Actually, I started getting the glue layers on the other day, but applied the final layers and put the tires on today. When I get a moment I'll stick the wheels on the bike and snap a pic; it should be sick (that's what the kids say these days for 'awesome,' "sick"). Although I have awhile before the first road race, I need to ride these wheels a time or two before racing on them. Racing on brand new equipment is not an option, or at least not a good option.

Well, that's all I have for now.

I'll be in touch.

3 comments:

Dave Rodkey said...

Adam. I'm a runner - share the road (with runners,too). Anyway, I've had hamstring issues this year too. I wondered if it was due to the compression socks I got for Christmas. The hammy issues seemed to start after I had been wearing them after my run. I wore them for about 2 weeks and then the hammys started feeling tight. I haven't been wearing them for a week or so. I don't know if that's it.

Dave Rodkey said...

Oh yeah (Dave Rodkey here again). I forgot mention that I do 58 squats per day. No weights. Just squats. Usually all 58 at noon before I go to lunch. Share the road (with runners, too).

adamrodkey said...

First) I am the most road sharing dude I know.
Second) I hadn't made the compression sox/ham correlation. I do have a pair of "half tights" (compression shorts) on the wya that are to work on quads, hams and glutes. We'll see what happens there.