Friday, January 16, 2009

You know it's cold when...

...well, most obviously when it's below 0. But, our basement (since we've lived here) is always just above 50, ~52 usually. But w/ the sub-zero temps the past few mornings, it's been just below 50, which today saw me lifting weights in running tights and long shirt sleeves. It's usually plenty comfy for indoor workouts down there, but it just feels cold the last tow mornings.
And the commute to work, well that's a different story. It's cold. I've been wearing (sun) glasses because the sub 0 wind makes my eyes hurty. I'm not complaining though, I far prefer bike commuting, even if it is arctic.
In workout news: the weeks been going good but my right hamstring (and right leg, generally) has been tight. I've been stretching it A LOT and trying to keep it warm/loose. I'm sure it's fine, but I feel like I have been nag-free for a while now and I was liking it.
Oh, and I got some new race wheels too. We (the bike shop) had a really good year (record setting, actually) and while that doesn't really make my pockets fatter directly, I got good holiday bonus(es). So I sold my Ksyriums, combined my moneys and got a pair of Fulcrum Racing 0's. I've had these wheels in mind for several years, but just never had the opportunity to get them. They're ~1/2lb lighter than Ksyriums, which appeals to the weight weenie in me, every bit as aero, if not a touch more, which appeals to the aero guru in me and they have loose ball, fully rebuildable hubs, which appeals to the techie in me. And they're red. And red in Italian means fast (look to Ferrari and Ducati for proof of this cultural fact). Speaking of Ducati, America's native son of Moto GP, Nicky Hayden will be riding Ducati this year. They just introduced the first ever moto gp bike w/a carbon fibre chassis. Sweet.

3 comments:

Randy Lewandowski said...

I've been wimping out lately as far as the bike commuting. I did not ride at all this week and last week I've riden once.
The mornings around here have been between -10 and -40 (with the wind chill) So I've wimped out until it get a little warmer.

Randy Lewandowski said...

... Fulcrum - Nice wheels. I bought a used pair of the Ksyriums this past year and I'm loving them.

-Jumpy

adamrodkey said...

I still think that *for the money* Ksyrium's the best wheel on the market. It's not the lightest, nor the most aero, but it's the best combo of those things for undr $1k.
My sub 0 commuting consists of: 2 pair sox (one wool), gore-tex shoes, long johns, jeans, 4 upper body layers, neck gaitor, two hats and two pr gloves. And I only have to go ~2miles.