Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Uhh yeah, we got some snow...

This is the steps up to our front porch/door. Looks more like ski slope.

Measurement 1.


Measurement 2.
We got hit hard. 2 days in a row. News said 12.8 inches. I didn't get that much on my scale, but it's a lot and enough. I had some serious shovel time, which led to some serious back ache. Getting around by bike was very difficult. I even found myself walking the commuter bike two or three times; just couldn't keep it going on the unplowed streets. It doesn't snow in Bloomington as much as it did (does) in Muncie and I guess this is the worst snow in ~12 years down here. IU was closed and I heard it hasn't been closed since the blizzard of 1978! The roads were far better on my way back home this evening, but getting to work today (and yesterday) was some serious riding. Hard to keep momentum and VERY hard to handle the bike; it was all over the place.
In training news: this is halfway point of week 7 of 8 week block. I can report that while my sessions feel god, I feel very tired overall. I am feeling overtrained (though Allen Lim says there is no such thing as overtraining, just under resting). I am resting all I have time to, and I need to make it through the rest of this week and all of next week before I can take a few days off, and have a "loafer" workout week (roller spins, some weights, nothing too hard), then start up on the Feb/Mar block.
I started a new book on The Festina Affair, which rocked the 1998 Tour de France and was the first big doping scandal ever. It's written as a tell-all by the songuier who was driving the Festina team car that was busted by border agents and was carrying all of the teams doping supplies for the '98 Tour. Interesting insider story of how routine doping was (and probably is) in cycling.

2 comments:

Brian said...

Makes me enjoy the weather down here even more... Wisconsin will be covered in snow for months, and you guys got blasted! I rode in shorts today!

adamrodkey said...

Whatever man, I rode in shorts too...in my basement!