Sunday, September 20, 2009

OVCX #1

This weekend was the series opener for the Ohio Valley Cyclocross Series. My first goal of the day was to make it to the race; as I liken driving on OH interstates to running through a field of live land mines.
It rained most of the way there, steady, but not pouring. The closer I got, the harder it rained. I went into the day feeling confident. I've been riding cross weekly and riding pretty well. I expected to do good and hoped I could win. But the muddy conditions worried me, as that changes everything. It's much harder to go fast and there are some part where you have to go downright slow. And crashing (or at least nearly crashing, probably several times) is to be expected.
Any time you START a race in the pouring rain, it's gets automatic "epic" status. When it rain for the duration of said race, yeah, that's a mess.
I rode very hard and overall very well. I was sitting, quite comfortably, in third until the first of my two crashes. Crash #1 saw my bars get tangled in the course tape. After getting my bars detangled and getting back my rhythm, riders #'s 1 and 2 had gapped me and I couldn't catch them. Crash #2 I just laid it down in the mud, which let ~3 guys behind me catch closer, two which ultimately passed me. I was able to hold of the others behind me, and finished 5th. We started w/ 94 people (though it was mixed age category, so there were 36 or so 0-35[my race]) , so 5th isn't too bad. If I hadn't crashed I think I could have done better and maybe even contested the win. I was, however, happy with my race and my result.
Being a total mud fest it was extra hard and I had so much crap in my eyes I couldn't see much for the duration (or the drive home). But it was great first race because the conditions can't get a whole lot worse (actually they can, but it was pretty gnarly). It should prove a good basis for the rest of the season.
I will miss a few days of training this week to head back out to Las Vegas for the Interbike trade show. I can't say I'm totally psyched on going, but it'll be cool to see all the new stuff for 2010 and check out some pro racing too.

No comments: