Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Could be worse...

It could be cold AND rainy like it is for these poor pro guys in California. Rather it's just cold here.
I got out Tuesday regardless. It was in the mid 20's, but 1) I knew Thursday (my other long ride weekday) was 99% forecasted to be on trainer and 2) I really have been itching to ride my TT bike outside. So I went out. My plan was to ride out SR 446 and do some intervals; kind of whatever the terrain dictated, as I normally do ints on Bottom Rd. My plan was to go out, do as many 7-10min hard efforts w/ ~2-5min rests as I could do in 1 hour, then turn around and do the same back in. At 52min I was at a good turn around place and feeling really worked, so I turned @ 52min. Turns out I was battling the headwind out because it took just 43min to get back in. I didn't really realize it at the time; I just thought the gear/rolling terrain were to blame for the effort. So my planned ~2hr ride turned out to be just over 1:30. Oh well, I pushed some big gear and was actually a little sore from it. Good stuff.
Then today I lifted in the a.m. and spun on the rollers p.m. Plus my parents were in town for a real estate seminar for my Dad and they and Lindsay and I went to lunch. It was a good time and a nice break from the 1 apple, 1 carrot, 1 PBJ and 1 yogurt that dominates my weekly noon-time menu. Damn I'm boring. And probably lacking in protein.
As I mentioned, tomorrow is looking like a trainer day. No precipt expected, just sub-to-low 20's. I want to do some sustained hard effort workouts on the road bike anyway. I've done pretty much all short (sprint) effort workouts on road bike and all sustained (tt-ish) efforts on TT bike on trainer. I feel like I'll benefit from doing the longer efforts in the road position, so that's the plan for tomorrow.
A few race schedules are being posted (finally) so I'd like to get a schedule nailed down as well. It looks like there may be fewer races to do this year compared to years past. Bad economy I guess. Promoters are less willing than before to front the ca$h to put on a race fearing no one will show. This totally sucks for the racers, but I guess that's how it goes.

No comments: