Friday, February 20, 2009

Seriously

This is a pic of my downstairs ("workout room") TV yesterday morning.
I'm no Tour de France historian or anything, but stage 17 in 2006 (Floyd Landis' comeback stage after his epic implosion on stage 16) has to be the greatest stage ever. Drugs or no drugs, all that B.S. aside, this is the greatest stage ever. During the stage (5 time Tour winner) Bernard Hinault even comes into the press box and tells Paul and Phil he's never seen anything like it.
I have the full length DVD of the 2006 tour, and I haven't finished watching stage 17 yet; it's going to be a three session-er. But I watched the meat of it yesterday (Thursday) while doing "TT" intervals on the road bike. I have to say, I felt great this session; it felt easy (which probably means I should have geared down, but...) I used the same gearing I use for the same workout on the TT bike, and it just felt effortless.
Then today was a lift a.m. and I'll ride p.m. My left knee started feeling a little tweek halfway through the final set of lunges I was doing, so I stopped at 5 reps rather than going to 10. Squats didn't bother it at all, so maybe it was just a small tweeker that worked itself out.
This weekend is looking like royal crapper weather wise. Low temps. Highs in low 20's. Oh well,I guess I can finish off that tour stage. And watch the final stage of the Tour of California.

1 comment:

Randy Lewandowski said...

I rented it last year from NetFlick, great stage and awsome and long ocverage.
This is long but this is Dr. Allen Lim...

- 5 hours 23 minutes and 36 seconds.

- Covering 200.5 kilometers (130 km alone in the wind).

- At a speed of 37.175 km/hr.

- Averaging 281 watts when moving for the whole ride and 318 watts over the last two hours.

- Averaging 324 watts while pedaling for the whole ride and 364 watts over the last 2 hours.

- At an average cadence of 89 rpm.

- Transferring 5,456 Kjoules of energy to his Cycleops PowerTap.

- Taking, no joke, a total of 70 water bottles (480 ml each) from the car to keep himself cool and hydrated.

- Attacking about a quarter of the way up the Col des Saisies for 30 seconds at 544 watts, which settled into a 5-minute peak of 451 watts, which continued for 10 minutes at an average of power of 431 watts, and left everyone in his dust after 30 minutes at an average power of 401 watts.

- Spending 13.2% of his time or 43 minutes coasting like a rocket on the descents and another 60% between 4 to 7 watts per kilogram of body weight (aka, the pain cave).

- Holding onto 373 watts over the Col de Joux-Plane.

- Hitting a max speed of 83.7 km/hr (51.9 mph) and flying like a Phoenix on his way to the most incredible moment in sports I have ever witnessed.