Saturday, June 06, 2009

Disappointment; more crashing!

So Ren-Jay Shei put his name on the collar bone list this past week.
And I crashed in the IN State Road Race too! And there's more!!!
The race:
I should have known it would not be a great day. First, when I put in my contacts (at ~5am) it burned as if I'd accidentally stored them in Tabasco. I rinsed them thoroughly and all was fine. Once I got to the race, I was loading up my pockets for the day and realized I'd left my gel flask in the fridge. Not good. I've really been working on my race (and long ride) nutrition this year, so going into a close to 3hr race w/ no food is not a good idea for me. I was able to bum 2 gels from a couple guys (big thanks R. Knapp and B-rad Nelson). Ideally I would have had 1) more food and 2) the EFS gel I'm used to, but these dudes saved my arse. So w/ all this bad luck starting out, I should have sensed crisis awaited...
I rode really smart race. I got in one (unsuccessful) breakaway, then drifted back into the field to recovery for a few laps once it was absorbed. Then w/ two to go I moved toward the front and stayed close to the front for the final lap/finish. Well, as so often is the case in these situations, I really don't know what happened. I guess a dude bumped bars w/ someone or something, but one second I'm jamming in the bunch, sitting really good, ~10th or so probably, and the next second a rider is on the ground in front of me. My options were to plow into him or swerve out one way or the other and take out the remainder of the field myself (and still crash). I chose to plow the guy. I ran my front wheel into his rib cage at what turned out to be 34mph. The good part (for me) was that the speed we were moving caused him to be sliding forward when I hit him. So when I flew forward, he was moving forward too and rather than flying over him and onto the pavement, I landed on top of him and he broke my fall. I quickly was up, asked him if he was okay (he said he was), remounted my bike, which was mostly fine too, and sprinted in. Looking at the Cat III results I see the names of people I was around at the end were in the 3rd to 7th range. That means I was 100% looking at being in the money, and a possible top 10 or better. It wasn't to happen this day though; I crossed 42nd out of 82 starts (there were TONS of flats on the day though, very, very bad course conditions).
So then today myself and two teammates (G. Parry and G. Palmer) were going out for a spin of about 2-2.5hrs. We weren't riding hard, as we had all three raced good and hard yesterday, just sitting up talking and pedalling. At some point in a corner GP and GP hit loose sand and both went down. Both were cut up/scraped up and G.Parry landed on his face and had a blood faucet out his nose; not a pretty sight. Everyone was alright, and I didn't go down, but G.Parry's rr wheel was beyond repair and he had to be picked up. G.Palmer and I continued and rode in once G.Parry was picked up safely. While it's great that no one was hurt (and that I've been in three crashes in the last two weeks and not been hurt), we've all had enough of crashing.
So I don't race again for three weeks or so. I'm accompanying Lindsay to Michigan again this year for her crack at the Lumberjack 100 MTB 100mile race. Why anyone would want to race a MTB 100miles is beyond me, but she's been working really hard and is really focused on it, so I'm excited to go back to support her again.
Other than that, it's just train, train, train (and work, work, work).

No comments: