Monday, June 01, 2009

Weekend, etc.

Sunday was the DINO MTB Race at Brown County St Park. W/ low humidity, temps in the high 70s/low 80s and super dry trail conditions, this race was faster than it's ever been. It starts w/ a 3/4mile road climb that gains ~285'. It's a brutal start, and I expected to be in front, w/ maybe a few guys and to have a gap. Man, the cat I MTBers were flying up this road climb. I was in the first group, but several guys back from first into the trail. So my start was not was I was hoping for, but I maintained a good hard solid pace throughout and rode well and consistent. I did clip a tree w/ my left shoulder coming down the trail which serves as the "finishing chute," but just a scrape really. With so many broken collar bones lately, I feel lucky to have just a mere flesh wound. Lindsay crashed semi-hard but is okay too. Results too FOREVER to be tallied, so i left before they were posted, so I'm not sure how I did.



I also noticed on my road bike today that when I skidded to ~try to~ avoid the crash last Wed, I actually skidded through my RR tire. I'll be needing a new one of those. I rode on it for ~an hour today because I put a new chain on this bike this weekend and I want to ride it as much as possible before this weekend's road race to make sure everything's working properly. It's a bad idea to ride on a tire w/ thread showing in general, but when prior to leaving your putting things in your pocket to boot the tire !when! it fails, your basically on borrowed time and maybe an idiot.
So, I'm going to take this week a little easy(er) to try to be fresh for the weekend's State Road Race. I'll probably do a decently moderate-hard ride tomorrow, then stay at tempo for the rest of the week. We'll see.
Later.

No comments: