Sunday, June 21, 2009

Road Trip (lumberjack 100 MTB race)

Lindsay coming up the start.


Exiting the pits (navigating around the cornhole game).

Chicken head or Sparten dude?

Lindsay working on the gourmet pre-race dinner in our cabin (complimentary coffee maker included, but no coffee!?!).

The mother-ship. Ready to launch.

We took off Friday morning for Lindsay to attempt the Lumberjack 100(mile) MTB race. It's a long drive up to west/central Michigan, and we hit a couple patches of bad weather, but we made pretty good time.
We got to the race venue and while Lindsay got checked in and did a little ride, I rode the "back section" of the course, which is a 17mile loop that is done in conjunction w/ a 8mile "front loop." The course is in a State Forest about 30 or so miles east of Lake Michigan, so the soil is sand. Still not being 100% what happened, I crashed pretty hard ~15minutes into the loop and hit my head (helmet!) pretty hard on the ground. My sunglasses got smashed into my face and blackened the corner of my eye a little and gave me two small cuts, but I was otherwise fine. I got up and finished the loop.
This isn't about me though.
After riding we got to our cabin, ate and went to bed early. Spectating 100mile MTB racing is pretty boring. LJ100 is the only one I've been to, but I'd say it's very spectator friendly course because it's use of the two loops you have a couple of vantage points and after a couple laps there's pretty much always someone coming through one of the loops. Anywho, Lindsay looked good and appeared to be riding well and in good, confident spirits, but missed the cut-off time and bagged it after 50miles. I was (am) still proud of her because (1) she worked really hard, and (2) let's face it, riding even 50 consecutive miles on a mountain bike would not be cake; I've never ridden MTB that long/far.
Overall, despite her falling short of her ultimate goal, me being eaten by mosquitoes (again, for the second year), and me smashing my head into the dirt, we had a pretty nice little trip.
Summer appears to be here. 90's and stuff. I want to have a solid week of training, so let's hope the rain is about done too.

No comments: