Wednesday, June 17, 2009

History Lesson

This is a pic my good friend Josh sent me of the top tube of a bike that was brought into his bike shop in Indianapolis the other day. Andy Hampsten is an American cycling legend and apparently someone in Indy has one of his Eddy Merckx branded Motorola team bikes. This bike would have been circa Lance Armstrong's very early PRO days. When he was a nobody and dropped out of the TDF.
I feel like this week has been mostly a bust for riding. I guess June is the monsoon season around here now. Last year I believe was the wettest on record, and this year it's rained a ton (a ton may be a 'dry' measurement, but whatever). I managed two days of intervals and Monday's EZ ride, but things are not going according to plan. I went out to the flats of Bottom Rd. Wed for a TT interval session, but decided to do it on road bike for two reasons. 1) my TT bike is white and a pain to clean and it was all wet out. it would have gotten nasty and 2) I thought it would be beneficial to some good hard time trial effort, but w/out the aero benefit. The sets were harder than on the TT, which is good and my TT bike is still clean.
Today (thrus) it was thunder/lightning/raining in the morning, so I went to work early to get some things done that I needed to get done hoping to get a p.m. ride in. It turned sunny for most of the day so we were very steadily busy, but i got everything I needed done. The it looked like more rain this eve, but i set out for hill intervals anyway. I went to the hill(s) at Griffey Lake and did 4x up-down-up-down (that's eight climbs total). Intervals are hard. I hope they're worth it.
Tomorrow we take off for Lindsay to tackle the Lumberjack 100 in central Michigan. She crashed on her road bike last night and has some soreness and scraped on her a$$, but I have faith she'll get it done; she's come too far.
Finally, this weekend is Father's day. Unfortunately I won't be able to spend it w/ my Pops because we'll be coming from back MI. But, seeing as he's about the greatest Dad one could have, he understands. We may get to hang out and do some house painting next weekend. We'll see.
I gotta get packed for the weekend, I plan to ride the 25mile loop of the LJ100 course tomorrow evening, then spectate all day Sat. Should be fun!

No comments: