Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Go w/ the flow

Per my definition of "tempo ride," which is harder than easy, easier than hard, go w/ the flow/by feel, I went w/ it this am. Turned out the flow was fast. I rode plenty fast (solo 32.3miles, 19mph w/ 1500’), but w/ low heart rate and low(ish) exertion. I was a little surprised at that after yesterday’s effort. My legs were actually a little sore and tired from that, but I felt great today. I should make note too, as a non-cyclist reader recently asked me if I get sore after certain rides and I answered her "I’m always sore, I just don’t notice it day-to-day because I’m always sore." When I say I’m sore it means I’m noticeably sore. Training like do you are constantly tearing your muscles down, which is why higher levels of protein (and rest) are needed for constant rebuilding. So given the rate/amount of muscle breakdown we experience, we’re always sore.
The weathers been go to us this week thus far. Let’s hope it keeps this up…(of course the heat from out west is supposed to make it’s way here this weekend, but I can deal w/ heat, just not rain). They’ve had 100’s out west and we’re looking at 90’s, but as long as it’s dry, I’ll take it.

3 comments:

Tim Green said...

It's interesting you talked about being sore all the time. I am always sore to some degree but most of the times I have quality workouts. Yesterday my legs were sore and starting my ride to the res for the tues night training ride they were sore, but after I warmed up I did fine and actually had one of my best workouts and kept up easily. I guess I was curious if I was the only one that felt this way. I have learned I can't rely on my soreness to determine my workout, but rather pay attention to my HR. If I can't get my HR up because of the soreness, I back off and ride easy...well, most of the time.

Great job on your riding, especially yesterdays blistering ride!!!

Tim

Randy Lewandowski said...

Adam - I agree on the soreness part and protien but I would like to add that I feel it is important from time to time to feel what it's like to not have sore legs. This can be accomplished when you are tappering for a big event in which you need you r legs well rested in order to do your best.

-Jumpy

Gina said...

I have never been a real athlete like yourself, so I have never been consistantly sore like you've described. It's kind of difficult to imagine. I admire your persistance, endurance and committment to taking good care of yourself.