Saturday, November 19, 2005

Major Taylor Cross #2

Today was the Indy cross @ Major Taylor (2nd race @ MT for those following). It was an okay day. I tried to get to the front for the start and ended up somewhere around 5-7th wheel. This held for a lap or two. Then I passed couple guys and one dude was glued to my wheel. I would lead him around most the lap, then every lap, like clockwork, he would draft me on the raod section, then slingshot past me. The road section is near the end of the lap, and definately the last prime passing zone. So, I knew that if this dude was going to draft>pass on the last lap, I'd have a hard time getting back around him so I said to myself "there is no way I'm letting this dude around me on the last lap." So on the last lap when we got to the road section I looked back, saw him there, stood up and dropped the hammer; also dropped the dude. After the road section is a short grass downhill, barrier, long grass singletrack, two barriers, then into the velodrome for the finish. So, having dropped the dude on the road, I jumped the barrier, then just didn' t look back on the grass single track and went as hard as I could to hold him off. It worked and I rode into the velodrome alone for a 4th place finish. It was a slightly bigger feild (27) than the last MTV race, probably due to it being nicer. Not a bad day.

B-Town CX tomorrow...

No comments: