Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Hard ride; flat; wheels...

Nothing overly exciting to report. Ryan and I rode North Shore/South Shore this a.m. and pretty much killed it. We rode it hard. The wind really picked up on us on the way across South Shore (headed west), so pulls into the headwind w/ no cover was tough. The wind was steady coming off Lake Lemon and made for a tough ride in. Add to this that I flatted once we got off of South Shore and it made for a "blah" ride. Actually it was a good ride. We rode hard, it didn’t rain (the sun actually poked out), but a front flat is always a bummer.
Sun Rims suck. They used to be good, now they suck. I went to rebuild my wheel last night and was having problems w/ getting it dished and round. I went to stress the spokes and I heard a "ping." I new a spoke couldn’t have broke, as there wasn’t enough tension on them yet. What happened was the little plate that is peened at the seem (so if the seem comes apart the rim won’t ‘unravel’) came loose and was rattling around. As it turns out Tim Cote from here build cyclocross wheels w/ the same rime (Sun ME14A) and BOTH of his plates came un-peened within a couple of days. I have seen these plates come unfixed from rims w/ tons of miles on them, but on brnd new rims? C’mon. That’s just dumpster. So I ‘m going to buy a low end pair of Campy wheels for trainers. I’ll sell my Chorus hubset online, w/ the front hub built to a ME14A rim (before they started sucking).
Wish me luck…
P.S. I don’t want jinx anything, but the weather seems to be coming aorund?

1 comment:

Randy Lewandowski said...

I've never have tried a pair of Sun rims. My choice always for a great set of training wheels is the Mavic Open Pro rim. Mavic sells a ton of these and they know how to build a great wheel.

Jumpy