Sunday, January 22, 2006

ride-sick-ride

Matt came to town this weeknd for some B-Town training. We rode about 35 miles Saturday afternoon (I left work early). We rode out hwy 45 to South Shore Dr (Lake Lemon), then in. We didn't ride especially hard, but we rode really steady. I felt fine, actually prett good while riding. I felt like absolute crap when we got done. My stomach started hurting really bad. I hadn't eaten much, but I felt worse than I've felt in along time. We had planned on going to dinner at a Mexican joint off the square (El Nartino), more on that later, and checking out a musical performer called "Pedro" later. We went and ate, but I really wanted to come home afterwards and lie down.
El Nartino is a loca Mexican place downtown. It was really good food, but the service was pretty bad. The waitress didn't speak english, so you just had to point at the menu. That's fine, but it doesn't allow for questions about the selections to be asked. Oh well. I asked for soem 'calente' salsa per the suggestion of a dude fom work and man was it moi calente. First of all, it was green. Like glowing green. It was really hot, but good flavor. I ordered a vegetarian entree and couldn't barely eat it I felt so bad. I knew I needed to eat so I forced as much down as I could, but I probably didn't eat enough. We came home afterward and I went ot bed. I slept terribly too, which sucks when I was in total need of the recovery hours.
I woke up sans stomach ailment, but not feeling recovered. We originally palnned o long day today, but I wasn't up for it. We did a 40 miler and I rode like total shit. I felt weak and rode weak. I called Ryan to go, but he said he didn't feel like it due to a super hard ride yesterday; and given how I rode, I'm glad he didn't go because I would have gotten straight up dropped. Anyway, I plan to up the squat weight tomorrow. I rested some tonight and plan to more. Hopefully I sleep well and am ready to go tomorrow. Since I rode Sat that makes no day off last week and none unitl next Sat. Basically, I raced last Sun, worked out M,T,W,Th, F, Sa, Su and will work out M, T, W, Th,F before a day off. That's 13 days straight. I better ahve a good year in Expert class!
In the low light otday I used the Rudy's w/ the tinted clear lens. It was perfect. These glasses are boss. Super crisp optics. I continue to be impressed.

3 comments:

Tim Green said...

Do you think you were sick, or was you feeling bad because of the amount of training? I felt bad last week during my training and couldn't figure out if I was over doing it or was getting sick....still don't know but I feel fine now.

Hope you get to feeling better soon!

Tim

Randy Lewandowski said...

Working super hard and then a lack of sleep, this happens to me quite a bit and it’s always a big issue between me and Andrea. What she does not understand is that if a person is not working out then getting a bad nights sleep is not that big of deal. When a person is in 'Heavy training' mode it's a monumental issue.
I think it's super hard to ride with anyone else this time of year in our training due to the difference in our individual training progression. My old coach said to ride rarely with a group this time of year.

Tim Green said...

Good point Randy. Back when we were riding together all the time we were somewhat equal at that time but I was still riding and running all the time, and you were fitting in workouts the best you could. I consider you a better cyclist than me, but it depends on where a person's fitness level is at the time. That's why I don't like to ride with Jeff unless I'm doing a recovery ride (like him as a good friend though, he's a great guy and cycling bud).

I think it would be interesting to see where are condition wise compared to each others base training right now. I do know I would be good for the short haul (50 to 60 miles) but probablly not the endurance to push myself hard for more than that, unless riding by myself.

I tend to want to do my own thing this time of year too, especially when it's cold and I may want to call it quits at anytime.